CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 320 C vs S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:19 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
CLK 320 C vs S

It is not clear from the manual if the comfort vs sport setting changes just the shift pattern or also the suspension. Does anyone know?

Thanks as always,
Ed
Old 01-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
just the shift pattern
Old 01-10-2007, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CLK is sprung on a conventional suspension, no ABC type "on the fly" changes are possible by choosing "Sport" over "Comfort."

mcdelaug
Old 01-17-2007, 06:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
So according to the MB site, the ESP changes how the car handles, I wonder if that changes between C and S?

It really feels like something with the handling changes in addition to the shift pattern.

Ed
Old 01-17-2007, 08:12 PM

W209 CLK
You will feel a difference when changing from "C" to "S" and back. This is because when you select "C" for comfort mode (used to be "W" for winter), the car starts from second gear in order to minimize slipping of the wheels. Also the transmission also shifts at a lower RPM rate which allows for a smoother shift during excelleration. Your car would feel smoother but slower as a result.

When you're using "S" mode, the car starts from first gear and the shifts are a little harder. The transmission also monitors the way you drive and shifts gears according to your driving patterns. In other words, it learns how you drives and adapts to suite your style.

Both of which do not affect your suspension. The CLK320 suspension is based on shocks and springs which are not regulated by a computer and stays as is. In other words there is no change to the suspension no matter how differently you drive.

The Electronic Stability Program (ESP; otherwise known as the "FUN" button) manages the power delivered to the wheels. It is defaulted to be "ON" and manages the power at the wheel. When one wheel slips, the sensors will tell the computer that the wheel is slipping and reduces power to the slipping wheels. That is where you will feel the difference in the drive of your car.

Turning the ESP off isn't exactly recommended unless you're racing like a badass, making donuts in the parking lot, or want to spin your wheels. With the ESP off, there is no monitoring of power to the wheel. Basically it's straight power delivered from pressing the gas pedal. When the wheels slip they will continue to slip untill you let off of the gas. That is where you will also notice the difference in the handling as you fishtale.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by chixdiggit
...With the ESP off, there is no monitoring of power to the wheel. Basically it's straight power delivered from pressing the gas pedal. When the wheels slip they will continue to slip untill you let off of the gas...
Excellent post, just one small mistake. When you hit the ESP off button, it doesn't actually turn the ESP completely off. It only lessens the involvement. ESP will still work, just to a lesser degree. ESP always seems to cut my power out when I try launching my car hard. If I power brake and floor it the ESP light will flash and power get completely cut, its like the car died for 2 seconds. If you really want to turn off ESP all electronics (like ABS), you can use Dyno Mode.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
but your signature is awesome!

"How do you amass a small fortune?

Start with a large fortune, buy a Mercedes and customize it. "

Trending Topics

Old 01-18-2007, 01:25 PM

W209 CLK
Thanks Stallion. I'm starting to learn the hard way about that..lol.

I didn't know about the dyno mode. How do you switch it to dyno?