CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Splitter for Brabus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2007 | 05:03 PM

R230
Splitter for Brabus

Well, after much deliberation, I decided to fabricate my own splitter for my K8 front bumper.

Roads here in southern Ontario are generally good, but a low riding front CF splitter simply won't resist the spring thaw pot holes, asphalt swell, and post-hibernation hungry ground hogs......so I went with a more resiliant material.

I had a company from near Hamilton, Ontario cut me a slab of black polypropylene, 20" x 70" and 3/4" thick. I made a general template of the bottom of the bumper, and proceeded to cut with a jig saw (word of note, polypro will seal back up as you cut unless you use coarse blade with low rpm....and your arm and teeth will not appreciate the chatter) .

I then used a common wood router to round the edges. I am at the plastic and bendable bondo stage, slowly working it into a smooth and straight angle (this requires much patience....).

Final heat warping to match the K8 radius corner bends will be old school hockey stick curving.....ala propane torch....low heat.....bend and inspect.
Plastic sealer/primer will enable the final carbon fiber (0.015 thickness) wrap. I will then lacquer (clear coat with bendable properties) coat the CF wrap for MANY coats.

This should prove to be a resiliant and tough anti-Canuck rodentia splitter.

The first 2 pics are the course cut and remnants........the 3rd is setting it under the Brabus bumper after router application, and the 4th is in bondo stage.....

Will update with more pics and progress.....
Attached Thumbnails Splitter for Brabus-splitter-001.jpg   Splitter for Brabus-splitter-003.jpg   Splitter for Brabus-splitter-004.jpg   Splitter for Brabus-splitter-005.jpg  
Old 03-21-2007 | 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
nice, i wanna see final pics when its on the car