CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

04 CLK 500 constant beeping when I lock/unlock - also the alarm has an issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09CLK550Cab 61k miles
04 CLK 500 constant beeping when I lock/unlock - also the alarm has an issue

Two problems, and I'll bet they are related:

1. While it is working right now, my alarm beeps here and there, even with the car on, even when driving down the road. Sometimes it stays on solid, and sometimes it squeaks on and blips a little like an intermittent connection. I've read that the contacts rust out somewhere. Where is that connection, and can I work on that myself, like maybe get my solder iron out and go for it? Where it the item located I need to worry about?

I did wiggle the 8,9,41 fuses and I haven't had a problem in two days now, so maybe that was it? (I remember this from when my stereo just stopped working one day, and I just had to wiggle a fuse!)

2. As of this morning (and possibly earlier), it now emits a constant beeping when I lock/unlock. The beep is not very loud, and it comes from the passenger front under the car. It beeps on for 1.5 seconds, and silent for 0.5 seconds, repeats for a minute or two. It does this every time I lock or unlock it. The car is clearly indicating some sort of error message, but I don't know what.

I checked the battery voltage while it's beeping, and it is 12.55V. That's in the good range, right?

Final note: this all came to light after a two week trip with the car in my garage the whole time.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes
I had the same thing happen to my '03 500. There is another battery, aside from the main battery, that needs to be replaced. I forget what it's called, but its for some sort of unit for the alarm. They replaced it under warranty for me when it happened.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:25 AM

09CLK550Cab 61k miles
Did you have both of my problems, or just the beeping?

I gonna take a guess that the beeping is indicating that the secondary battery is toast. Any chance if anyone knows how to take it out, and replace it?

Where is that alarm speaker and alarm system? If I'm curious and want to take a look at it, where is it, and how do I take a look at it?

Oh yeah, and the alarm went off for my wife last night, so my fuse wiggling didn't fix it.

John
Old 05-12-2007, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes
Sorry I forgot to mention that it was the second problem you described.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:47 PM

09CLK550Cab 61k miles
Third problem/symptom:
This morning, I unlocked the car to get in, and the alarm emitted a solid on beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep sound for about 3 minutes solid. It was pretty loud and annoying, but not quite as loud as the normal alarm system.

So the car wins. I brought it into the dealership this morning. Now waiting to see what my $99 diag costs will figure out for me.

I'll let you all know what happens, but I'd welcome any theories so I can have a good idea of what to expect.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:38 PM

09CLK550Cab 61k miles
Total cost: $210. They replaced the "siren" (I don't know if they called it a "siren module", but its part cost was only $54, plus 1.5 hours labor.

So far so good. I hope the first two problems are fixed by it too.

So that's it. I'll post a follow up if it didn't fix the problem.

And by the way, my car has ~56000 miles on it, and it went through a salty New Hampshire winter this past season. I'm hoping these things are resilient enough to not care about salt too much.

John