CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

One more W208 vs. W209 opinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 MB CLK55
One more W208 vs. W209 opinion

I've waited for an opportunity to see one in the flesh before I made my personal call. After ~1.5 years of a serious, lust-filled relationship with my W208 (MY01 CLK55), I found the photos of the W209, uhm, "lacking". No heart, no soul.

Well, today I had that opportunity. At the"E-MOTION Event" at El Toro, they had one of everything lined up (quick aside: least favorite of the all-brilliant-silver fleet was the G500 - brick ****house on wheels. Most favorite - hands down, no contest - SL500. Pure oh-my-gawd-i-gotta-get-me-one-where-do-i-sell-a-kidney perfection. Well, almost - the SL55 would have been perfection, but alas, none to be seen).

I digress. The W209: did absolutely nothing for me in person. I do like the pillarless look. That was it. To me, the 209 is pure pablum - bland, without texture, no pulse. The new headlights, IM(not so)HO, scream cheap chromed plastic. The tail lights, with their swoopy sideways V back up lights look like they'd be at home on a Civic.

The simple fact that the front & back lenses were the only thing that caught my eye (and not in a good way, to boot) speaks volumes to me. In my mind, the W208, especially in AMG trim, says straight out in your face "don't mess with me" - there is an agressiveness to the stance & the lines that just isn't there on the W209.

The W209 is more of a "was that the new ToyLexInfiniHyundForPly or what".

But then, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Be sure that this beholder will be holdin' on to his beast for the long run (unless a find a buyer for that kidney - then it'll be two 55's for me, thankyouverymuch).
Old 10-06-2002, 04:25 PM

2013 SL 550
That's why everywhere I go everyone looks at the car and goes crazy, why don't you just go and buy the car that you want? Can you afford the new one? I love it how people who own old models of cars love to "DISS" the new ones because they don't have them and they want to think that theirs is the best, when really your isn't.

I am not biased either, I love the W208 430 in Silver, it is outragiously delicious! I admit also, that I like the tail lights on the W208 better, however, the CLK 500 W209 blows it away! Sure I'd love to have the tail lights from the old one on it, but to give up No B-Pillar, Keyless Go, Parktronic, and that Beautiful 3 Pointed star in the front for that dinky emblem that pops out of your hood on the W208, I DON'T THINK SO!!

Ciao baby,

And when you get a new car, whatever it is, please post again how the old models suck of the car you purchase so I can laugh again.

"The Don"

PS I just picked up a brand new C32 AMG for my "**** Around Car" for work, while my CLK 500 is for pleasure on the weekends.
Old 10-06-2002, 06:44 PM

Come on, Don.

You mean you actually read the whole thing that he wrote?
I was expecting no reply on this thread because it's time that we paid no attention to negative comments from W208 owners/M3 owners... We are here in this forum to exchange valuable information and helpful comments, not to read some pages from a diary of someone who's trying to make himself feel better about not being able to trade in his W208 for an updated model.

Do W209 onwers go to W208 forum and talk negatively about their cars? I don't know, because I've never been to that forum, but I hope not.

Honestly, there must be some disappointing aspects about my new CLK500, but I don't need people's straight out trash-talking about my car. I mean, give me a break guys. I just bought the car!! Let me enjoy it for at least 6 months!! It's like telling the a newly-wedded man how ugly the bride looks... just keep it to yourself...
Old 10-06-2002, 09:14 PM

2013 SL 550
I know, it just pisses me off, but actually you're right I don't go to the other forum, but I could and diss their car too, but I don't want to because no damm car is perfect and there will never be one! There will always be something that someone finds about any car that they don't like.

Oh well.

Ciao,

"The Don"