CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2003 CLK 320 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK 320 Cabriolet

Hello:
I am considering acquiring one of these with 60,000 miles...the mileage and lack of warranty is concerning. Assuming it has been properly maintained, what would you estimate I should budget annually for the next four years? Along the same lines, how many total miles are likely before significant trouble kicks in....75K, 100K,125K, more? One final question, do only Mercedes dealers offer certified Mercedes cars? Is it possible to purchase a car elsewhere and take it to a Mercedes dealership for certification (and extended warranty) if it passes the checks and tests? If so, what might this cost? Any other common problems with these except for coolant getting into the transmission?
Thanks.....Wm
Old 05-13-2007, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G63, AMG GT S
Originally Posted by twinpigs
Hello:
I am considering acquiring one of these with 60,000 miles...the mileage and lack of warranty is concerning. Assuming it has been properly maintained, what would you estimate I should budget annually for the next four years? Along the same lines, how many total miles are likely before significant trouble kicks in....75K, 100K,125K, more? One final question, do only Mercedes dealers offer certified Mercedes cars? Is it possible to purchase a car elsewhere and take it to a Mercedes dealership for certification (and extended warranty) if it passes the checks and tests? If so, what might this cost? Any other common problems with these except for coolant getting into the transmission?
Thanks.....Wm
Welcome to the forum. I don't know the answer to your question but I'm sure if you use the search button, you'll find the answer.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:53 PM

None
The 2003 clk cabriolet is a w208 body not a w209 body. The 209 body for the cabriolet started in 04 and 03 for the coupe. Check out the clk class w208 forum.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:12 PM

OK...I didn't know this distinction but it should help refine my research.

Thanks....Wm
Old 05-13-2007, 09:30 PM

W209 CLK
Welcome.

When purchasing your vehicle, one thing you need to find out is whether or not the radiator and tranny has been replaced. The 03/04 are notorious with having a faulty radiator hose which contaminates and ruins the transmission. This won't be noticeable untill it's too late when the tranny starts to feel like it's slipping.

Another problem could be the one touch sunroof where you need to touch it multiple times before it closes completely.

Mercedes does offer the "Star Marked" vehicles which have been supposedly inspected. I bet that they look at the service history and see whether or not the previous owner had all the servicing done by the dealerships... But really it's supposedly inspected and up to snuff.

You will not be able to purchase the original extended warranty unless you are the original owner and purchased it before the factory warrnty runs out. However, you should be able to buy an aftermarket warranty offered by various companies.... include MB. This warranty however does not cover everything so make sure you read the fine print and consult with some experts first. Prices will vary depending on which warranty program you buy into.

Do yourself a favour and see if there are independant shops that service MBs... Chances are the dealership will charge you your first born and a left ******** if you have them perform regular maintenance and additional work on it. I have had my car since 03 and have found that I would spend on average about $600 on maintenance a year.... it depends on what needs to be done.