CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Windshield washers on the fritz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK 500 Cabriolet
Windshield washers on the fritz

Having owned my '04 CLK 500 for a month, the windshield washers have gone on the fritz. The left one spits out just enough water to reach the top edge of the hood; the right one is not putting out anything at all. They used to work just fine. The fluid is topped off. Any likely suspects I can check out before waiting for my next dealer visit?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
Originally Posted by pcohen15
Having owned my '04 CLK 500 for a month, the windshield washers have gone on the fritz. The left one spits out just enough water to reach the top edge of the hood; the right one is not putting out anything at all. They used to work just fine. The fluid is topped off. Any likely suspects I can check out before waiting for my next dealer visit?

Thanks in advance.
Since you are getting some water out of one side, the pump is running.

Before I took it to the dealer, I'd have a look at the hoses that run to the hood to make sure they're attached Ok and are not cracked or clogged. You also might want to use a small sewing needle to make sure the nozzles are not plugged up with something.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:44 PM

2004 CLK 500 Cabriolet
Good suggestions. I'll try them today.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:32 PM

2004 CLK 500 Cabriolet
I can't tell of there's a problem with a washer hose because the hoses run through the hood. Looking from the underside, there are two clips that are visible. If I remove those two clips, will I be able to lift out the vent/grill/louver panel at the top of the hood where the washer nozzles are? I won't have a chance to do this for a couple of days, so I figure the more I know in advance, the better.

When I run the washer, I get a lot of fluid inside the engine compartment. Unfortunately, it drips right on top of the battery cover. The parts of the hose that I can see look OK, but -- no surprise here -- the problem is occurring where I Cannot see the hose.

Thanks in advance for any tips on removing the upper grill panel.