CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK vs E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BENZO
CLK vs E

my wife works for daimler and the new lease options came out. for this year we can get a clk 550, last year the best deal was an e350.

my question for all you clk owners is with 2 kids and i going to like a clk 550 convertible better than an e350? we have an suv but i will need the kids in there from time to time.

the clk convertible looks sweet so i kinda know the answer but hope for some legitimate input.

thanks
Old 08-04-2007, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
If they only need to ride every now and then, it'll be fine. It won't be as nice as an E, but there's plenty of room in the back. The only inconvenience will be when you need to move the seat and let the kids in first, but it's as easy as it can possibly get with the conveniently located handle that lifts the front seats forward and up. I'd take the kids to the dealer and try it out.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:36 PM

CLK 500, IS250 AWD
if you're not always driving them - then go for the clk 550

but if you are and they're small.. it might be a little hard with 2 doors

go for the clk.. you'll enjoy it
Old 08-04-2007, 01:54 PM

2014 GL450
I have three kids, ages 5 through 12 and take them to school every morning in the CLK convertible with no issue. I waited until the youngest was large enough to travel without a car seat before buying the CLK.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:44 PM

07 clk 550 , 07 xlr
Originally Posted by Pacific NW Guy
my wife works for daimler and the new lease options came out. for this year we can get a clk 550, last year the best deal was an e350.

my question for all you clk owners is with 2 kids and i going to like a clk 550 convertible better than an e350? we have an suv but i will need the kids in there from time to time.

the clk convertible looks sweet so i kinda know the answer but hope for some legitimate input.

thanks
if you order it make sure you get side air bags for the back for the kids safety
Old 08-04-2007, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by BAYAREA
if you order it make sure you get side air bags for the back for the kids safety
I'm pretty sure it comes with the side airbags.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:58 PM

BENZO
as nice???

someone mentioned it was not "as nice" was that purely in regard to space available or the overall package? I sounds a bit faster/sportier and looks pretty sweet. To be honest I like the looks of the E better but the convertible seems rad..

Trending Topics

Old 08-04-2007, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
someone mentioned it was not "as nice" was that purely in regard to space available or the overall package? I sounds a bit faster/sportier and looks pretty sweet. To be honest I like the looks of the E better but the convertible seems rad..
Sorry, I thought you would automatically assume I was referring to the space available, as it is the matter being discussed. The CLK550 is A LOT faster than the E350. Mind the difference in the amount of torque the two engines put out. IMO the coupe looks much better than the convertible.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:43 AM

CLK 550
Originally Posted by Chi500
I'm pretty sure it comes with the side airbags.
Unlike the CLK 320 and 500, the rear side airbags aren't standard on the 550. Though MB now offers a more powerful engine, they were able to keep the cost relatively the same by cutting out many of the options such as the rear side airbags and rear sunscreen that were standard on the '03 - '06 models...
Old 08-05-2007, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by atl2nyc
Unlike the CLK 320 and 500, the rear side airbags aren't standard on the 550. Though MB now offers a more powerful engine, they were able to keep the cost relatively the same by cutting out many of the options such as the rear side airbags and rear sunscreen that were standard on the '03 - '06 models...
Sorry, my mistake. Having had an '03 CLK500 before this, I have noticed the there are a lot of small things I liked that are now not available on the 550, as well as a decrease in the quality of the materials. It no longer has the park assist feature with the passenger side rearview mirror, a lighted panel for the headlight switch, REST feature, and rear sunshade as you mentioned.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:37 PM

BENZO
convertible

i just realized i never stated it was the convertible i was talking about. we can get an e550 or the clk conv 550. also how could they list the clk as faster if it weighs more?????
Old 08-06-2007, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
i just realized i never stated it was the convertible i was talking about. we can get an e550 or the clk conv 550. also how could they list the clk as faster if it weighs more?????
To tell you the truth, the E550 is probably just as fast if not faster than a CLK550. The CLK will "feel" sportier though and might even feel faster. If you want style and sportiness over space then go for the CLK. They are both fine vehicles with slightly different purposes.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
You stated that you were looking at an E350 or convertible CLK550 in your first post. 550 engine has a lot more torque than the 350 engine.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:21 AM

BENZO
crappppp

Originally Posted by Chi500
You stated that you were looking at an E350 or convertible CLK550 in your first post. 550 engine has a lot more torque than the 350 engine.
you are right, OK here is the bottom line since daimler took back over the car offering have expanded. i can get a cls 550, e550, or a clk conv or coupe 550 as well as the 350 offerings and a bunch more cars beside the cl or s.

ome year lease with insurance and no down, very very cheap. last 2 years best car available was the e350.

so with that in mind 550 engine in either e or clk conv for those who have had both?
Old 08-11-2007, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
If it were me, I'd go for the CLS now that it's in the mix. I think it would be a nice compromise between the looks of a coupe and the extra two doors for the kids.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:39 PM

07 clk 550 , 07 xlr
the cls is babaBAD it is the SHEAUT
Old 08-17-2007, 11:27 AM

CLK 350 Cab

I LOVE my convertible CLK 350 (2006). Go for the convertible!! Makes driving seem like flying through the aire.
Nothing like it! However, the back seat is TINY TINY TINY, it's great to HAVE a back seat but it's definitely not big enough for 2 growing kids to go for much more than a half hour ride at a time. But hey, it's for YOU right!?? hahaha..
Old 08-17-2007, 06:13 PM

2012 C63 and some other stuff
Tough choice . . . .I have three kids 5-10 yrs and had an S4 cab which I sold and the CLK550 is fine for every day riding with two kids in the back and one in the trunk. I figure you have plenty of years ahead of you driving four door sedans . . . .drive the Vert now while you can . . . as you get older you will have money for both if you want. The only mod I have done is the AMG Clk63 wheels and springs from MB and tunes . . . the stock tunes for a Vert are not acceptable. The CLK550 is nice with the top up and rips with the top down. I wanted the 63 but did not step up because I change cars a lot and would have got crushed more than usual . . . .the 550 is quick . . . and a good compromise of comfort and power . . . . which car would you buy if you did not get a deal?

I would ride in a CLS for an extended time before signing as I had a CLS55 when they first came out in June of 06 . . . .I did not like feel inside on position ect . . .now I did not keep it long enough to really comment more but thought I would throw it out there . . . .all are nice rides you are considering

Good Luck Hunting . . . .

DC
Old 08-17-2007, 08:43 PM

BENZO
not acceptable

Originally Posted by DELAWAREDAVE
Tough choice . . . .I have three kids 5-10 yrs and had an S4 cab which I sold and the CLK550 is fine for every day riding with two kids in the back and one in the trunk. I figure you have plenty of years ahead of you driving four door sedans . . . .drive the Vert now while you can . . . as you get older you will have money for both if you want. The only mod I have done is the AMG Clk63 wheels and springs from MB and tunes . . . the stock tunes for a Vert are not acceptable. The CLK550 is nice with the top up and rips with the top down. I wanted the 63 but did not step up because I change cars a lot and would have got crushed more than usual . . . .the 550 is quick . . . and a good compromise of comfort and power . . . . which car would you buy if you did not get a deal?

I would ride in a CLS for an extended time before signing as I had a CLS55 when they first came out in June of 06 . . . .I did not like feel inside on position ect . . .now I did not keep it long enough to really comment more but thought I would throw it out there . . . .all are nice rides you are considering

DC
are they a lot worse than the e? i sometimes think the e sounds decent.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:35 PM

set up is diff . . . . .front and rear speakers are both in the door in the clk . . .I would bet the sound is better in the E . . . .but I really meant when the top is down and you are doing 80 on the hwy . . .vol maxed out and a song comes on you love and you go to crank it and it is not there . . . .good tunes are a must for a Vert . . . .it is part of the whole sunshine package. It does not toally suck if you do not play loud and with a lot of bass it is fine . . .I hope I did not confuse you more . . . . .just not acceptable to me

DC
Old 08-18-2007, 11:56 AM

BENZO
confuse

set up is diff . . . . .front and rear speakers are both in the door in the clk . . .I would bet the sound is better in the E . . . .but I really meant when the top is down and you are doing 80 on the hwy . . .vol maxed out and a song comes on you love and you go to crank it and it is not there . . . .good tunes are a must for a Vert . . . .it is part of the whole sunshine package. It does not toally suck if you do not play loud and with a lot of bass it is fine . . .I hope I did not confuse you more . . . . .just not acceptable to me

DC
no and to be honest my wife wants an e again, but i am pushing for the convert, we only have to keep if for a year anyway. with gas prices she is even suggesting the bluetec.....................
Old 08-20-2007, 12:23 AM

07 E350, 03 Lexus ES300, 04 CLK 320 (gone)

thanks

The CLK is a nice car...my kids fit in the back, but as they got a little bigger including their toys, I knew I had to get a bigger ride...I went back and forth with the E, CLS & S and ultimately got the 07 E350...Its a nice ride with a lot of room...eventually I will get another coupe, but waiting for the CLK63...if the coupe ever gets here....

good luck....

.....my car changed but the 'modding' is still within me
Old 08-20-2007, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes

DC

Could you post pics of the car? Did you buy the wheels directly from MB?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:43 AM

Chi500

Bought the springs and clk63 wheels from MB . . . . .I have pics if you want em . . . dcrowley@pettinaro.com

DC