CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Importing a used US CLK 320 to Europe...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Importing a used US CLK 320 to Europe...

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.
It seems there are quite a few MB experts visting these forums, so I thought this might be the place to get some additional info...

I'm currently looking at buying a US CLK 320 Coupe, year: 2003/2004 (W209). Because of the weak dollar, importing such a car to Europe (Norway) seems like a good idea. However, there are of course a few things that separate the US and European cars, and that might affect what I should look for in a US car. When done I hope to have a car that looks (to the untrained eye) like an European version.

Things I know I need to change:
1. The speedometer (from mph to kmh). Anyone know if this is a big issue?

2. The "driving-computer" menu should state temperature in Celcius and not Fahrenheit. Is this just a reprogramming thing for a MB dealer?

3. The Comand system. (I want one) Should I go for a US car with Comand system pre-installed, and have it reprogrammed, or should I retrofit the car with an European Comand system directly?

4. Distronic. I've yet to find any US cars having this (and I really want it), so I guess a retrofit is the only option if that is possible. Any tips on where I can get that done?

5. Any big issues I've missed, that you guys know of ? (Like the US version doesn't run on European fuel or something)
Old 08-16-2007, 11:41 AM

W209 CLK
Things I know I need to change:
1. The speedometer (from mph to kmh). Anyone know if this is a big issue?

No, it's not a big issue. You cand manually change the digital speedomoter yourself throught the steering wheel. If you want to change the actual dial, it's straight plug and play and a change of the settings on the car's computer. The entire console is sold as a unit and runs about $800 from a dealer for a basic one and $1500 for an AMG unit. A mechanic with the Star Diagnostic tools can do it. It's as easy as turning on the Bi-Xenon settings.

2. The "driving-computer" menu should state temperature in Celcius and not Fahrenheit. Is this just a reprogramming thing for a MB dealer?

That is something you can change with the steering wheel controls. It's a basic setting.

3. The Comand system. (I want one) Should I go for a US car with Comand system pre-installed, and have it reprogrammed, or should I retrofit the car with an European Comand system directly?

It will be easier for you to buy a car with out and contact Steve from MBenzNL to purchase a Euro command. He's in the Netherlands so either Steve or Wanda can help you as they are great vendors to buy from. The Euro command are a bit nicer than the US ones and that's why everybody wants a Euro.

4. Distronic. I've yet to find any US cars having this (and I really want it), so I guess a retrofit is the only option if that is possible. Any tips on where I can get that done?

I believe it can be done as it's a seperate unit mounted into the radiator grill. Again I would probably direct you to Steve and Wanda from MBenzNL for more information. But really don't you want to be in control of your own vehicle?

5. Any big issues I've missed, that you guys know of ? (Like the US version doesn't run on European fuel or something)

One of the larger issues you need to be aware of is the transmission problem that occurs in the 03 &04 models. Because they were the first years, MB did not work out all the bugs in the car. This could be a potentially bad problem if it's not fixed.

The radiator from Behr was OEM at the time and I believe MB has changed the brand used in later models. The problem with the Behr radiaters is the hosing has a tendency to crack and contaminate the transmission fluid. In turn, the contamination settles and actually damages the gears in the transmission which in turn causes the transmission to shift very hard like as if the transmission was slipping. People who caught this problem early had their radiator replaced before damage to the transmission was damaged. Those like myself ended up having the entire radiater, transmission and torque converter replaced. Thank god for warranties because this job would have been over $10k to fix. So definately find out if the radiator and/or transmission has been fixed/replaced.

All in all the CLK320 is a nice car. If you're looking for speed and performance out of the box I would recommend paying the extra bit and purchase a 500 or a 350. I hope all this info helps, good luck with finding your vehicle.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:33 PM

I bought my CLK320 in 2003 when living in California, took it with me when moving to Germany in 2005 and this year to Sweden, so my car has been registered in all these countries.

First, no big issues but here are some things to think of.

The US cars has a 2-way catalytic converter vs. 3-way in Europe. Big difference in yearly tax at least in Germany (2x). It costs around $5K to have the car re-tested, but I had MB in Germany to write a letter certifying that the 2-way cat met the lowest European emissions without testing.

US cars speed is electronically controlled at around 212 kmh and will not go faster. Annoying in Germany but doesn’t matter so much in Sweden (and Norway).

You might get hit with higher insurance on an imported MB. Not the case in Germany but in Sweden

In Germany they checked all lights was marked with an E which was the case with the exception of the yellow sidelights. They could have asked me to disconnect them but they didn’t. In Sweden they looked for same marking on the seat belts which my car didn’t have. They were doing to force me to change them but in Sweden you can import cars as a household moving item at relaxes requirements, but this assumes that you actually move which was the case for me. Germany doesn't have this loop hole

Be careful with modified cars. I had my car lowered with Eibach springs and Brabus wheels in US. Fortunately they are both approved by the German TUV. If not, it would have to be removed. Sweden is not so stringent on car modifications.

Any US specific things such as the Navigation system will probably not work. Not sure about the command system as my car doesn’t have one.

Good luck
Old 08-17-2007, 04:10 AM

Great input

Thanks a lot guys for your input.

chixdiggit:
The radiator / transmission - issue, doest it apply to all CLK's of the 2003-2004 model range? Or just the US ones? Is it something that is "bound" to go wrong (so everyone has changed it), or where you just unlucky?

Hehe, I wish I could afford the 500, but stupid taxation rules in Norway, makes it waaay to expensive. (I'd have to pay approx 150k $ for a used one). Even the 320 is 40k $ in taxes alone.

MB Coupe:
212 km/h (130 mph?) speed limiter? Wasn't aware of that. Is that something that can be removed easily, as I might take this car on a few trips down to Germany and through Europe.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:01 PM

W209 CLK
I know in North America there were quite a few of these problems. Not enough for a complete recall but enough that the technicians at the MB shops knew about it.

If you do a search on the forum about transmission problems, you will see a lot of 2003/04 CLKs and C classes with the same problem. It's one of those notorious problem that have been discussed to death about. Personally if I saw a car and they listed the transmission and radiator were replaced I would be extremely cautious at first; but in this case it is a good thing that they replaced it.

As for the speed limiter, it is electronically controlled. It can be taken off easily by anybody who has access to "ecu tune" your vehicle or just "Star Diagnostic" system. While you're doing that you might as well see if they can add a few HP and a few lbs of torque to it.