CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need Advice on Tires PLEASE??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice on Tires PLEASE??

Ok, I hate to fallback on to typical stereotypes, but I'm a girl and know absolutely nothing about tires!! All I know is that my CLK baby (2006, 350 Cabriolet) needs some new ones (I feel every single bump on the road and I don't want that to hurt the car + I put air in the tires and then they're lower a couple days later + when I was researching the car, I remember reading how the CLK tires go very quickly). The tires it came with were very sporty and thin (18 inches I think??).

Anyway, I don't think I need ultra sporty tires again. Granted, I drive fast (wayyy too fast), but I also live in the NE and having tires that are a little tougher and better in rain and snow, etc. would be better for me. Can anyone recommend a good set of tires for my car? Price isn't really an issue although maybe it would be good to know options in the high range and mid range? Thanks!!!!!

Suzanne

Old 08-17-2007, 11:54 AM

W209 CLK
You might want to read through this thread:Luke's tire recommendations
Luke is a fountain of wisdom for your tire needs as I have bought my tires from him.

I'm assuming you will be looking for all season rather than performance tires?
Old 08-17-2007, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Given that you live in the Northeast, I would recommend getting two sets of tires, one winter set and one summer set. Dunlop Wintersport M3's for the winter, and Goodyear Eagle F-1 GS-D3's for the summer. These are the best tires, in my opinion, and you really don't want to be cheap about something like this. Tires are the only contact your car has with the road. I got caught in a blizzard once on summer tires and it was not a good experience.

The car is a rear wheel drive car, so the rears will need to be replaced more often than the front ones. Check to make sure that the front tires aren't worn yet.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:04 PM

2012 E350 4Matic Wagon
Originally Posted by xann77
I don't think I need ultra sporty tires again. Granted, I drive fast (wayyy too fast), but I also live in the NE and having tires that are a little tougher and better in rain and snow, etc. would be better for me.
I don't have my CLK yet (but hope to by the end of the year) and I've done the snow tire + summer tire thing on a previous BMW. It's a pain, and expensive. You have to store the tires you're not using. On my current car that came with "summer only" tires, I switched to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (All Season), and they are truely awesome. I recommend them highly. They show up as #2 on Luke's list of ultra high performance all season tires. They are great in the summer and are decent in the snow. Nothing will beat true snow tires, but the Pilot Sport A/S are the next best thing. Plus you should get them via the internet, as it is WAY cheaper. You just bring the tires to any local reputable tire place, and they'll put them on for you. You can even have the tires delivered directly to a tire shop. I recommend tirerack dot com. (I just double checked and Luke works for tirerack!)
Old 08-18-2007, 02:19 PM

07 clk 550 , 07 xlr
Originally Posted by xann77
Ok, I hate to fallback on to typical stereotypes, but I'm a girl and know absolutely nothing about tires!! All I know is that my CLK baby (2006, 350 Cabriolet) needs some new ones (I feel every single bump on the road and I don't want that to hurt the car + I put air in the tires and then they're lower a couple days later + when I was researching the car, I remember reading how the CLK tires go very quickly). The tires it came with were very sporty and thin (18 inches I think??).

Anyway, I don't think I need ultra sporty tires again. Granted, I drive fast (wayyy too fast), but I also live in the NE and having tires that are a little tougher and better in rain and snow, etc. would be better for me. Can anyone recommend a good set of tires for my car? Price isn't really an issue although maybe it would be good to know options in the high range and mid range? Thanks!!!!!

Suzanne

you own your own car and price does not matter, i want to see your 401k and your ira lets talk marriage, just kidding. you will find a lot of information about clks in this forum that others have already experienced, use their knowledge
Old 08-18-2007, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Davideo
I don't have my CLK yet (but hope to by the end of the year) and I've done the snow tire + summer tire thing on a previous BMW. It's a pain, and expensive. You have to store the tires you're not using. On my current car that came with "summer only" tires, I switched to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (All Season), and they are truely awesome. I recommend them highly. They show up as #2 on Luke's list of ultra high performance all season tires. They are great in the summer and are decent in the snow. Nothing will beat true snow tires, but the Pilot Sport A/S are the next best thing. Plus you should get them via the internet, as it is WAY cheaper. You just bring the tires to any local reputable tire place, and they'll put them on for you. You can even have the tires delivered directly to a tire shop. I recommend tirerack dot com. (I just double checked and Luke works for tirerack!)
David's right, it is a pain to change them out every fall and spring, but in my case, I have a set of 19 inch wheels for the summer, and use the stock wheels for the winter.

Definately go to tirerack.com to buy your tires.