CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Kleeman Headers Next.......but

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage Temporarily Empty
Kleeman Headers Next.......but

My next step is the headers and cats. I just don't know enough about them, especially the cats. I am partial to the Kleeman headers and cats from what I have read.
My exhaust was just done, but I want to replace the stock catalytics.
I was told I may continually throw a check engine light because of the O2 sensor in the first cat.
Do the Kleeman cats prevent this? I'm guessing yes.
Can you order only the cats from a Kleeman dealer?
Old 12-03-2007, 11:12 AM

W209 CLK
Originally Posted by nj500fbc
My next step is the headers and cats. I just don't know enough about them, especially the cats. I am partial to the Kleeman headers and cats from what I have read.
My exhaust was just done, but I want to replace the stock catalytics.
I was told I may continually throw a check engine light because of the O2 sensor in the first cat.
Do the Kleeman cats prevent this? I'm guessing yes.
Can you order only the cats from a Kleeman dealer?

I've been doing a bit of research on the high flow cats too.

There should be four cats, two after the headers, o2 sensors, down pipe, and another two. I'm guessing you will replace the first pair. You need to make sure you have a high enough cell count when your replacing the cats. The cell count on the stock cats are 400, I think you can use high flow cats with as low as 250 cell count before the sensors give you a warning (you need to verify that with the dealers).

I bought a set of Random Technology race cats for a fraction of kleemann cats and I was told they were the same ones, just labled differently and price twice as much. I have yet to put them on though. If they are the same, they are 300 cell counts and should be fine.

I've asked Dale at evosport about theirs, and he said they've never had problems with them, and I do believe they have a lower cell count.

If you do have problems with the O2 sensors, there are tricks that can be done to trick the O2 sensors.... I can't remember what it was, but it's been discussed on the bord.

Good luck, let me know how it goes.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:58 AM

Garage Temporarily Empty
Hey thanks for all of that information. I had no idea about the cell count either.....
I really appreciate it. I am amassing all my research and information before I actually do all the work in the spring.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:37 PM

Dad - CL550, Me C350, Sista B8 A4
not sure if this works on the mercedes ( dont see why not) but basically you can put spacers/washers on the 02 sensors that will pul the sensor out of the heavy flow of air thus (usually) not throwing a CEL code