CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Cracked windshield - where to replace?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 08:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Cracked windshield - where to replace?

Should I have it changed at a dealer?

Other suggestions?

Thanks,
mP
Old 02-03-2008, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09CLK550Cab 61k miles
If I were you, yes, I would have it done at a dealer. I know they just sub the work out anyway, but it may avoid the problem I ran into. They just tack on a premium ($100?) but if they're any good, they'll take on making sure it is done right.

My windshield was replaced before I bought the car at a upscale used car place, but they are all about saving a buck so I don't know who actually replaced it.

I do have a new windshield, and it looks great, but it didn't fit perfectly, and there were three problems:
1. At the top of the windshield, there is a rubber gasket/molding that is the barrier between the glass and the 4" long, 4' wide metal piece (you can pick at it with your fingernail). Well, mine had a 0.5mm gap, and at 40-80 mph, it would buzz, like the noise you can make with your lips as you are trying to blow the horn. That was fixed by using black silicone, but the factory cars don't have that problem!

2. My dealership said that the large metal piece at the top of the window is typically replaced ($180 I think) when changing the windshield because the integrated clips are damaged when removing it. I think you should at least inquire about it / insist it be replaced.

3. The large metal piece is off center more to the passenger side. This made a larger gap (~5mm versus ~2mm) in the rubber seals on my side, which adds to wind noise at highway speed, and is coming from, I believe, that pinpoint source. I think the gap is designed to let rain water slide off the windshield easily.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks, I wonder if anybody else had experience with replacing the windshield at MBdealer?

The problems that you mentioned after a replacement is the reason why I am hesitating having it replaced, unfortunately, it gets worse over time if not replaced.

Mine cracked when it was hit by a small peagravel on the freeway.

mP
Old 02-03-2008, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive the racism out of BadDebt. ;)
my windsheild also has a tiny chip in it aswell, i suggest MBC only only because they warranty their own work, so if something does happen, you can always go back to complain.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 clk 550 , 07 xlr
Originally Posted by mpalsal
Should I have it changed at a dealer?

Other suggestions?

Thanks,
mP
NO.... one windshield is as good as another if name brand glass.....MB does not make their own glass they sub it out and have the MB sticker put on it....if your MB has auto wipers then (you can request MB glass from the glass dealer)...get MB glass because of the rain sensor is made on the glass and if anything is wrong with the sensor...you can go to MB with the problem. MB has to stand behind their parts. FIND A GOOD GLASS SHOP that does alot of high end cars.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:56 AM

Garage Temporarily Empty
Originally Posted by BAYAREA
NO.... one windshield is as good as another if name brand glass.....MB does not make their own glass they sub it out and have the MB sticker put on it....if your MB has auto wipers then (you can request MB glass from the glass dealer)...get MB glass because of the rain sensor is made on the glass and if anything is wrong with the sensor...you can go to MB with the problem. MB has to stand behind their parts. FIND A GOOD GLASS SHOP that does alot of high end cars.
/\ /\ +1. I absolutely agree. I had this exact process done 5 months ago.
I have had no issues to date.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:35 PM

03 CLK320
Originally Posted by nj500fbc
/\ /\ +1. I absolutely agree. I had this exact process done 5 months ago.
I have had no issues to date.
just cracked my windshield yesterday, this sux. got an appointment to get it repaired for tomorrow - don't know how thats gonna work out - we'll see. I will eventually get it replaced. wondering where u got yours done, im in jersey too just wanted to know where i can get some quality work done. how much did it run you?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 AM

07 clk 550 , 07 xlr
Originally Posted by JrZkidd
just cracked my windshield yesterday, this sux. got an appointment to get it repaired for tomorrow - don't know how thats gonna work out - we'll see. I will eventually get it replaced. wondering where u got yours done, im in jersey too just wanted to know where i can get some quality work done. how much did it run you?
repairing a w/s is a old used car trick....you will always be able to see where it was repaired. did your ins. company tell you to repair? I don't think you will be happy......IT IS A MERCEDES YOU KNOW.....don't let the ins. company talk you into something your not going to be happy with, don't let them tell you where to take it, remember your the BOSS. if they repair and you don't like it then go back to ins. company and tell them you want it replaced. get it done where you want NOT where they want.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:14 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
Originally Posted by JrZkidd
First, I have to say I agree with BAYAREA totally. You must be firm with the Ins. company.
Aside from that, my work was done through http://www.normansglass.com/.
I explained what I needed and they did good work. I went to the Trenton location, but there are other locations.
I think altogether it was $700 and change.