CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

WTF, I think the dealer has been ripping me off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK320
WTF, I think the dealer has been ripping me off

So I have a 2003 CLK 320 with 128,000 miles. I have always taken it to the dealer EVERYTIME. I need to get my wheel bearing changed so I took it to an independent shop and he looked at my coolant ( I was with him) It was clear. He stuck his finger in it and said "Where do you take your car for service, because this is water" Then he looked at the brake fluid and it was black (also, I was with him) he said it needs to be changed.

In regular service A and B do they change these or at least check them? Why the hell is there water in my coolant container.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'01 E55
Originally Posted by gbahri
So I have a 2003 CLK 320 with 128,000 miles. I have always taken it to the dealer EVERYTIME. I need to get my wheel bearing changed so I took it to an independent shop and he looked at my coolant ( I was with him) It was clear. He stuck his finger in it and said "Where do you take your car for service, because this is water" Then he looked at the brake fluid and it was black (also, I was with him) he said it needs to be changed.

In regular service A and B do they change these or at least check them? Why the hell is there water in my coolant container.
When Mercedes come from the factory the coolant is blue. The coolant in the bottles sent to dealership is a clear-ish color, slightly yellow. Coolant is usually a 50/50 mix with water depending on the climate you're in. If your dealer was filling your coolant system with only water it would've all evaporated by now. Is this an MBZ only independant shop?? Sounds fishy if he doesn't know what color MBZ coolant is.

If the brake fluid is black it should be changed. MBZ brake fluid is a yellow color but over time developes algae growth which turns it first to green then black.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK320
Yeah so I called mercedes and they said the coolant is clear. The guy at the shop was telling me it should be blue. I do think he is right about the brake fluid though because I cant recall flushing it.

He did know how to work the menu on the car lol so I kinda had a sigh of releif that he has seen mercedes in the shop lol plus there was a brand new lexus being serviced so it made me feel better lol
Old 04-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Some of those independent shops really do a great job. Dealerships are horrible when it comes to maintenance/services. I assume everything worked out for you.

by the way cute bunny...