CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

New Purchase HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2002 | 07:09 PM
Almost a Member!

New Purchase HELP

Hello Gang,

I am looking to buy a CLK 320 at 22, I am not sure if this is the smartest thing to do as I should really save and invest my money but I really want one bad.

Does anyone know what state is it actually cheapest to buy the 2003 CLK 320?

I plan on adding all the features like keyless go the command system but am not sure about the Distronic any ideas on that?

thanks

Emmanuel
HostDime Inc CEO
http://www.HostDime.com
Old 12-07-2002 | 07:14 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: New Purchase HELP

Originally posted by HostDime
Hello Gang,

I am looking to buy a CLK 320 at 22, I am not sure if this is the smartest thing to do as I should really save and invest my money but I really want one bad.

Does anyone know what state is it actually cheapest to buy the 2003 CLK 320?

I plan on adding all the features like keyless go the command system but am not sure about the Distronic any ideas on that?

thanks

Emmanuel
HostDime Inc CEO
http://www.HostDime.com
Couple of things, first, good for you ,if you can safely afford it then do it, secondly there is confirmation of a new 3.5 from MBZ to replace the 3.2 so wait if you can or save on all the extra options and get the 500!!

Best of luck to you,

RJC
Old 12-07-2002 | 07:22 PM
Almost a Member!

thanks, what is the main differences between going to be for the 3.5 to the 3.2 and also to the 500 to the 320?
Old 12-07-2002 | 07:56 PM

CLK 550
HostDime...

first off...if you can afford a MBZ at 22, then more power to you. Enjoy your youth...I am only 6 years past you, but I would have loved to have one back at 22. And besides, given the current state of the market, there aren't a whole lot of positive investment opportunities out there : )

But to you original question...given that you will be hard pressed to find a 320 on a lot anywhere, you will probably have to go to the dealer and place an order for it.

And from my experience with dealers in NY, NJ, and CT...you will pay MSRP for the vehicle, no matter what state you purchase your 320.

I think this is because you have to order the vehicle. I assume the price will vary if you actually purchase the car off the lot, but again, I think you will be hard pressed to find one that is not already assigned to someone. And if you do find one, I imagine there will be a hefty premium. I know some of the people who surf this forum are dealers, so they should be able to shed some light on my assumption.

I think the only real thing that will cause a difference in the price right now is simply the sales tax. But given that you pay sales tax based on the county in which you live, the car price stays the same no matter where you buy it.

RJC...per your post, have you seen anything that tells when a CLK 3500cc model will be released?? I've only seen announcements on the engine, but nothing explaining which MBZ models it will go into.
Old 12-07-2002 | 08:02 PM

CLK 550
thanks, what is the main differences between going to be for the 3.5 to the 3.2 and also to the 500 to the 320?
I am guessing the only difference between a 320 and a 350 will be the engine. So basically, some more horsepower.

If you're in the US, the 500 and the 320 differ by engine displacement and body sculpting. The 500 has the AMG front, side, and rear molding, as well as a bigger exhaust fitting and larger tires. You can go to MBZ's website and see the difference. Oh, and of course, about $8000!!!
Old 12-08-2002 | 02:20 AM
Almost a Member!

As far as options, I placed an order with Keyless Go, Xenon, and Sunroof. I passed on the Distronic, Parktronic, and COMAND and here is why--

The Distronic seems neat, but seems very overpriced for what it is and how often I would use it. I don't use cruise very often, and when I do, I generally don't find myself super-annoyed when I had to manually adjust my speed. It sounds like a solution in search of a problem. Parktronic is a little bit better price/value for me, but still doesn't quite make the cut, but I could be pursuaded. I think the way they setup the display for Parktronic seems a bit cheesy.

On the COMAND, I'd really like it BUT -- the current version has some shortcomings. Its CD-ROM based which means the maps are less detailed and from what I've read, the entire system is fairly dated now. Slowish speed, sub-par graphics, etc. The big point in its favor is that it is tightly integrated with the rest of the car (steering wheel, radio, etc.). It also requires you to put the map CD-ROM in the dash unit itself, which means you can't nav and play a CD at the same time, really bad design.

I think the price is fair IF it was a state-of-the-art system, but obviously its not. Its due to be replaced very soon now with a DVD-ROM based unit. I basically told the dealer if they announce a changeover to the DVD-ROM version (rumored) to add the option to the order, otherwise nix it. Hopefully there will be a way to add it aftermarket. Makes sense that if they are going to change to the DVD on the same basic car, there will be some way to retrofit it, possibly at lower cost than as an option (judging by the going rate to install a CD-COMAND after-market, which is normally at least $500 less than having it pre-installed.

Instead of the COMAND, I got a glovebox DVD for $400. I hope they switch to DVD before my order goes in, but its just a couple weeks away now so its not looking good. I'd rather not wait indefinitely for the car over that small issue. I do much prefer the look of the dash with COMAND, but $2k is a lot to spend on something to fill a hole that I would probably want to yank out in 6 months.

I think Keyless Go is a great option at a great price. A bit gimmicky probably but its cheap and cool, so its worth it.

I thought about swapping a 320 for a 500, but in the end the added cost, gas guzzler $1k fee (that's $1k lost to the government, not going "into" the car at all), and worse gas milesage at a time when gas prices are all but expected to hit $4/gal, it just didn't make sense. I never really try to jackrabbit start from a stoplight or dragrace a Z, so as long as it can pass at 80mpg and climb hills without problem (the 320 can, I checked!) I'm happy. I would gladly pay an extra $1k or so to get the body panel enhancements from the 500, and another $1k or so for the wheels which are very nice. You can get some but not all of that with the appearance package. You can get the AMG wheels but they seemed overpriced at like $2.5k.

Good luck whatever you get.