CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Tracking the CLK350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1977 6.9; 2007 CLK350
Tracking the CLK350

I got one of these last year to replace a 2000 Prelude and a 1999 NSX. The NSX was my only track car until last Saturday when I took my CLK350 to BeaveRun.

This car has the "Sports Package" and actually handles very nicely for its weight, although it is way underpowered. However, the transmission has me baffled. I have only used standard transmissions on the track.

A fellow with a C32 AMG told me his transmission shifts down automatically under braking. Mine doesn't. Also, although it upshifts at red line, it doesn't remember where you had it set and shift back down when required. Finally, it doesn't "store" downshift requests. If you hit the shift lever twice, the second one never takes if your revs are too high, and you can't tell what gear you are in without looking.

So, if any of you are tracking your car, what can you tell me about using the transmission effectively?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:41 AM

2006 CLK 350 Fog City, CA, USA
Hi,

I don't track my car but I'm interested in what you find out as you never know...!!!

What exactly does the Sport package consist of?

I assume you are using the transmission in the S (sport) mode rather than the C (comfort) mode? Shouldn't the transmission downshift in the Sport mode when you hit the brakes?

The transmission learns your driving habits but only in the non-manual mode (automatic).

I heard that the manual mode is slow to shift unless you have the AMG model with the Shift Paddles which has quicker shifting.

The 7 speed transmission is also used on the W211 so maybe post a copy on that forum and let us know what you find out.

Good Luck !
Old 05-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Almost a Member!

1977 6.9; 2007 CLK350
Originally Posted by unitfreebie
Hi,

What exactly does the Sport package consist of?

I assume you are using the transmission in the S (sport) mode rather than the C (comfort) mode? Shouldn't the transmission downshift in the Sport mode when you hit the brakes?

The transmission learns your driving habits but only in the non-manual mode (automatic).

I heard that the manual mode is slow to shift unless you have the AMG model with the Shift Paddles which has quicker shifting.

The 7 speed transmission is also used on the W211 so maybe post a copy on that forum and let us know what you find out.

Good Luck !
It is actually called the Sports Appearance Package, but I don't think there is much about appearance there. You get stiffer springs, drilled front rotors and different wheels and tires. I'm not sure what the stock wheels and tires are but these use a larger size at the rear and, I believe, a somewhat lighter wheel and higher performance tires

I was using S, but I believe the only difference is C starts in second. It may do other things but I don't know what they are.

The auto does learn. A fellow with an AMG showed me a way to reset the memory so it would start over. I find it does downshift under moderate braking on the street, but I wasn't feeling it on the track. The AMG was going down two gears at the end of the front straight. I was still in fifth.

BTW, the stability control doesn't actually turn off when you press the button. It just goes to a much more forgiving setting but it will still cut in under certain circumstances. I don't know if there is a way to turn it off completely, but without a limited slip differential, it might be better to have it slightly on.