CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Haha....MB service results in a very tough decision

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2008 | 05:23 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 CLK500
Haha....MB service results in a very tough decision

So about 2 months ago I purchased my first MB. Well it was all fine and dandy...took it in to MB when my warrenty was still valid and had them check over the car and replace many things (10 page list of misc items) that didnt affect the car completely just convience items. Well on my way up to my school (2 hour drive) my left low beam warning light came on. Not a big deal a $40 bulb and I would move on with my life....haha...not the case. As it turns out the bulb was good...the ignitor and the control unit (all one item in 2004) went bad. The parts came to a little over $1700 and one and half days of service resulted in a total of about $2100. Keep in mind this is all for a left low beam... Well I didnt have to pay for the service because it was "good willed" from some people that I know....a one time thing because my factory warrenty expired last month! Well then I was stuck with the decision to buy an aftermarket warrenty or say prayers every night that something doesnt go wrong with the car....as it turns out I had an hour to decide...my car has 48902 miles on it and they have to start the aftermarket warrenty before 49k miles or 5 years after its made. So I came to the conclusion of buying a "all encompassing" warrenty that covers mostly everything.....for $1899 after taxes and $100 deductible. It is good for another 26k miles or 3 years....I rationalized that if a HID going out results in a $2100 bill wtf would something more serious cost? So now I have "piece of mind" for the next 26k miles...Just something that caught me completely off guard...I just hope that my first MB experience wont be my last!!
Old 09-12-2008 | 05:44 PM

2004 clk 500 cabriolet
(I'm considering a purchase of a 2004 clk 500 cabriolet..)

Where did you purchase your warranty?

I'm curious what 'all encompassing' means.. do they really cover everything?
Old 09-12-2008 | 08:28 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 CLK500
I got it from mercedes when I picked my car up today....here is EVERYTHING not covered:

normal maintenance items and parts described in your maintenance manual
squeaks, rattles, water leaks or wind noise
non factory installed radios and speakers
upholstery
exterior metal
trim
convertible tops, glass, plastic or assembly (got a hardtop so)

Every little single thing else IS COVERED!!!