CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

routine maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 GL550, 2006 CLK350, 1999 Porsche 911
routine maintenance

New owner of 2006 CLK and new member here. I want to do my own routine maintenance on my car. Sorry if these questions have been asked and answered already. Is the drain plug location obvious under the car? Is the oil filter element canister right there on top, accessible from under the hood, on the front right of the motor? If it is, does oil spill out all over when you unscrew the top? What kind of oil filter do most use? And what viscosity Mobile 1 should I use in northern Ohio? Where is the cabin air filter? I just ordered a pair of K&N air filters. Should I expect any performance increase? Thanks.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK 240
Here's a DIY from another forum:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209...il-change.html

Many folks use the 'suction' method (Topsider) but personally I always prefer to drain. The oil filter is easily accessable, located alongside the engine, but you need a special tool to grip it. And another to torque it when re-fitting. You will spill no oil from the filter, but you have to be careful at the drain as there is a lot of old oil to be collected there.

Use any make of oil that complies with M-B spec 229.5 - it will tell you on the can.

Your 'cabin filter' - described as A/C filter is located directly over your battery. Undo 3 clips, and it's out.

The two air filters are located in the underside of the plastic engine cover. That just pops off with a sharp vertical lift. No screws, just clips hold it in place. Be careful when re-locating it, as if it is not quite in place it will affect your running.

Do not expect much difference in performance - this is just preventive maintenance.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 GL550, 2006 CLK350, 1999 Porsche 911
Originally Posted by moondust
Here's a DIY from another forum:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209...il-change.html

Many folks use the 'suction' method (Topsider) but personally I always prefer to drain. The oil filter is easily accessable, located alongside the engine, but you need a special tool to grip it. And another to torque it when re-fitting. You will spill no oil from the filter, but you have to be careful at the drain as there is a lot of old oil to be collected there.

Use any make of oil that complies with M-B spec 229.5 - it will tell you on the can.

Your 'cabin filter' - described as A/C filter is located directly over your battery. Undo 3 clips, and it's out.

The two air filters are located in the underside of the plastic engine cover. That just pops off with a sharp vertical lift. No screws, just clips hold it in place. Be careful when re-locating it, as if it is not quite in place it will affect your running.

Do not expect much difference in performance - this is just preventive maintenance.
Many thanks for the information. The question on performance had to do with changing the engine air filters to the K&N brand which advertise better air flow supposedly leading to increased horsepower. Probably just advertising gimmick, no?
Old 09-25-2008, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 500 2003
most tend to say thats its a gimmick but if it makes u feel like performance has increased who cares.