CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How To for my Hoen Fog Light Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage Temporarily Empty
"How To" Hoen Fog Light Replacement

This could have been posted before but this was performed on my 04 clk500.

Remove driver's front tire.
You will be staring at a panel in the wheel well which must be removed.
There are 3 bolts to remove and a few "jesus" plugs.

We call them jesus plugs because that's what you say when you break them.
These are in the open/unlocked or "popped" position.

These plugs are removed by pulling the center out with angle cutters (gently) without cutting it off. You must remove the plugs by pulling on the center cap 1st and pop it out before the entire plug is removed from the hole it's in. If not, you will definitely break the plug and possibly crack the plastic it's inside of

You must also remove the plugs on the underside of the plastic wheel well cover. This is a look from the underside directly behind the fog light. One plug in place (top of photo) and one plug removed (bottom of photo).

Reach your hand inside of the open panel and grab the bulb housing.

You will need to get your hand around the washer fluid reservoir (driver's side only).

Turn the bulb and housing counter clockwise 1/8 of a turn and pull out the bulb.

IF YOU PLAN TO USE THIS BULB AGAIN, you should be using clean gloves.

This is the bulb hanging before we changed it.

Replace the bulb with clean, disposable gloves on. This will prevent premature failure.
Below is the bulb and housing in the locked position.

This is a photo of the bulb and housing in the unlocked position, ready to be removed.

The tip of the day....when your trying to pop the bulb out of the housing it's in, push the male and female ends (here in photo) together and then depress the button that unlocks the bulb (right thumb). If you don't, you will need the incredible hulk for assistance.

Push in the new bulb and place it back into the housing, locking it into it's original position.
The driver's side is a little tighter to get to the bulb, but not by much. I found this is an overall pretty easy DIY.
Thanks Craig.

Here is a photo comparison....the fog to your left is OEM and to the right is Hoen's xenon match.
To be honest pictures don't do it justice. The new bulb is a cleaner, whiter light for sure.

I hope this can provide some of you with some good information when you're doing this DIY.
I will post photos of the car at night to show the white light they throw, a bit later tonight - 1/11/09.

Last edited by Vabene7; 01-12-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E550
great write up. if you can can you post pics, im debating whether or not i should go with hoen's.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLK500
Nice write-up

Do you have pictures with the fogs and license plate lights on?