CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Bought '04 CLK500: options to replace COMAND?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
Bought '04 CLK500: options to replace COMAND?

Just purchased an '04 CLK500 with COMAND unit (including nav, not sure if that's the same thing as COMAND or if COMAND can mean with or without nav). As you can already tell, I'm not that familiar with the car, my first MB. I'm not particularly impressed with the COMAND interface so far, so I've been trying to search around and figure out what my options are. I'm so unfamiliar with the lingo and abbreviations in many of the threads though that I figured I'd just ask for a little help.

1) The car only came with one nav CD and it's for a different region. From what I can tell from searching, is 1/07 the latest map update if I want to try to find a CD for my region? Do I need to update the firmware or anything, or can I just plug in the new CD (the CD that came with it is older).

2) I've been looking at double-din aftermarket kits that have the bigger touchscreens, built-in BT, etc. Will these fit in the car if I take out the COMAND unit? What do I lose if I do this? (volume controls on steering wheel, etc. Anything else?)

3) Is there a market for used COMAND units like mine. Is it worth trying to sell if I do remove it and replace it with something else?

Please feel free to point me to other threads that I may have missed that deal with these things. I've found some related threads, but they're often not dealing with CLK models, and especially not '04 CLK models, so I never know how relevant those threads actually are to my particular car.

Thanks for helping the new guy out!
Old 03-01-2009, 03:30 PM

CLK 320
I'd buy it if you'd include all the GPS sensors and what not.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:37 PM

CLK500
Originally Posted by NOMO
I'd buy it if you'd include all the GPS sensors and what not.
What's it usually go for? (I'll add 30% to whatever you tell me and assume that's fair market value. ) I assume if I removed the GPS sensors I'd need to get new ones if the new HU I purchased included GPS capability?