CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

W203/W209 Fading MFD/VDO Cluster Class Action

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203/W209 Fading MFD/VDO Cluster Class Action

Since the W203 and W209 share the same MFD/VDO cluster, I thought I share the contents of this thread, posted on the W203 board with interested CLK owners:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...tion-suit.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi everyone,

Like many of you, the MFD LEDs on my W203 have faded to the point of being almost impossible to read during the daytime. Searching the forum, it seems that this is a systemic problem for a large number of W203 owners with the pre-facelift cluster, both in coupe and sedan models.

Incidentally, my father owned an E38 BMW 7-series that had a similar problem due to a design flaw in its LED construction. Like our W203s, BMW-USA was initially unwilling to redress the result of their manufacturing flaw and replace the faltering LEDs of many E38s instrumental panels and cabin control stacks. However, after the threat of a class action lawsuit by a sizable number of angry owners, BMW-USA eventually agreed to replace the parts for free, if owners would pay the cost of labor. This turned a multi-thousand dollars fix into one that cost most owners only an hour of labor at their local shop.

Thus, I'm working to mount a class action suit against MB-USA. Part of the discovery process is establishing that the problem is widespread and systemic.

Ideally, like the BMW owners, we will negotiate a fix with MB-USA without legal action.

Given this, I've set up an email address where W203/W209 owners can voice their MFD/VDO problems and to include themselves as signatories on any letters that are written to MB-USA in order to indicate the widespread nature of the problem.

EMAIL ADDRESS FOR REPORTING CLUSTER PROBLEMS:

w203pixelproblems@gmail.com

Please send your:

1. Name
2. Forum handle
3. Location (city/state)
4. Model and year
5. Approx mileage
6. Any additional info related to the problem (when you noticed the failure, what temperatures you have the most fading at, etc)

We have about 25 W203 owners thus far!