CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Check engine light- Should I just reset it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
Check engine light- Should I just reset it?

I bought gas on Sunday. When I was driving today, I got a malfunction message that my gas cap was loose. I checked the gas cap and it seemed fine, I tightened it up just to be sure. Then I continued to drive and then got another message that the gas cap was loose. I then opened and tightened the gas cap.

Now it says "no malfunction" but I still have a check engine light. Does this mean that the gas cap issue is gone but I just need to clear my check engine light?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 175 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
If the gas cap has been properly reinstalled, the CEL should automatically turn off after 3 cold starts.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
So each time that I open and then close the gas cap, I get a notification to check the gas cap on my next drive. Do you think it's safe to assume that the gas cap needs to be replaced?

I'm under a bumper to bumper warranty but I doubt it covers gas caps. I'm asking because it's probably easier to just order one and replace it myself instead of going through the hassle of taking it to the shop.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by cguy
So each time that I open and then close the gas cap, I get a notification to check the gas cap on my next drive. Do you think it's safe to assume that the gas cap needs to be replaced?

I'm under a bumper to bumper warranty but I doubt it covers gas caps. I'm asking because it's probably easier to just order one and replace it myself instead of going through the hassle of taking it to the shop.

Thanks.

That's not normal and the dealer will replace it for free since your car is still under "bumper to bumper" warranty. "Bumper to bumper" warranty mean, they will replace/repair everything during that period of warranty.