CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

why does the paint chip.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 08:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK 500
why does the paint chip.....

i was washing the car today, and i noticed a few chips out of the hood and fenders in the front. it seems the paint is very "soft" not nearly as thick or durable as my previous benz...it almost seems like its defective. the thing is its not just "dings" in the paint, it comes off in flakes when struck, exposing the bare metal...what gives?
Old 03-21-2003, 09:05 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 182 Posts
Re: why does the paint chip.....

Originally posted by julie benz
i was washing the car today, and i noticed a few chips out of the hood and fenders in the front. it seems the paint is very "soft" not nearly as thick or durable as my previous benz...it almost seems like its defective. the thing is its not just "dings" in the paint, it comes off in flakes when struck, exposing the bare metal...what gives?
Nice to hear you wash your own car...wish my GF washed hers!

Anyway MB paint and I'm sure other manufactures paint is not what it used to be due to enviormental regulations etc, BUT the paint on my GF's 2002 honda has all but one super small chip on the front end and she puts on lot's and lot's of highway miles. The paint on my last clk an 01 was just as soft, tried to stay of the interstate.

On a seperate note how is the sound quality of your radio in AM mode, especially after the radio has warmed-up? I'm getting a distortion that increases with volume... but FM is great. Also are you in a warmer climate as I've got a engine cooling fan that causes a vibration in the whole car when the fan goes into super high speed (it was 91 here today).

Thanks

R

Last edited by RJC; 03-21-2003 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:34 AM

I never listen to AM, but my FM reception is not good at all, at least not comparable to my wifes ML or other cars i driven lately. I took it down to the dealership to have this and some other (minor) issues fixed, and they didn't have the replacement part available in US. They were talking about a potential re-design being the reason.

Mine is one of the first CLK's (Aug'02), and i'm glad to hear that your FM reception is excellent so mine should get excellent too.

Cheers
Old 03-22-2003, 09:09 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK 500
i havent had any problems with the fm reception...sounds fine. am is a little static laden from time to time, but i expect that from am. as for the cooling fan, no problems with vibration at all...unless im outside the car and listening for it i cannot even tell its running, though im sure it is ...very warm here. i would have service check those concerns...
the paint is a problem for me though...
Old 03-22-2003, 12:27 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 182 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Julie, you might want to check out the invisible paint protection, these are thin plastic sheets that are custom fit to cover certian areas of the car. I don't have any personal experience with the product but if you search the site I'm sure you'll find info.