CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help with Stereo Wiring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55, 2002 ML55, 2002 SL500, 2003 CLK55
Help with Stereo Wiring

I'm at my wits end and was hoping someone here could help me.
The previous owner of my car was a kid and spent a ton of money having some idiot install an Alpine W505 into the car.
Needless to say it was a Mickey Mouse install and I'm now in the process of uninstalling everything. By the way, if anyone is interested in the Alpine let me know, I'm selling it.
Now on to the wiring.
I've got the top and bottom connectors intact but the middle connector which I'm guessing are the wires for the speakers (or wires to the amp for the speakers) are no where to be found.
The installer sliced into the rear wires near the amp and pulled the wiring up to the front into the head unit. Not sure why he needed to do this. Couldn't he have used the wires out of the connector at the factory unit?
Regardless, any idea where the original wires might be? I can't believe the installer pulled it out.

Just in case, the middle connector is the one with pink/green/white/orange wires coming out of it.

Thanks!

Last edited by rennwerkes; 03-13-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
im assuming the previous owner didnt have an amp for the new speakers and used the old speakers? not sure about it but i remember when i was doing the work on my car, there is a lot of room behind the HU to tuck excess wires somewhere. see if its tucked in to the side or something. im sure he didnt pull the middle connector out anyways.

why do you want to change the unit?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by bheng
im assuming the previous owner didnt have an amp for the new speakers and used the old speakers? not sure about it but i remember when i was doing the work on my car, there is a lot of room behind the HU to tuck excess wires somewhere. see if its tucked in to the side or something. im sure he didnt pull the middle connector out anyways.

why do you want to change the unit?
No, there was an amp but they pulled the amp before selling.
Looks like they ran RCA's back to the amp in the trunk and there was a sub but not sure how they wired up the speakers. They had only the head unit running the speakers when I got it so sounded REALLY crappy.
I keep hoping to find the connector but for the life of me I can't figure it out.
I fairly sure I identified the wires they cut going to the amp which they spliced into but can't figure out where the heck the wires are in the HU area.
You're right, lots of space back there but can't seem to find the wires.
I just prefer the stock look. Cleaner to me.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
mmm. iono what to say. i mean like a connector is a big thing. shouldnt be cut up and stuff. did you ever look into your door panels to see if he added new speakers?

if he did, i would just suggest on getting a cleaner looking aftermarket unit and get an amp and put it back together. cuz if you cant find the connector, its not worth your time to try to get new connectors for the car. just go aftermarket.

maybe bring it to the dealership and talk to one of the mechanics about it. maybe they can find it. if not....go aftermarket. i dont think you'll regret it.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by bheng
mmm. iono what to say. i mean like a connector is a big thing. shouldnt be cut up and stuff. did you ever look into your door panels to see if he added new speakers?

if he did, i would just suggest on getting a cleaner looking aftermarket unit and get an amp and put it back together. cuz if you cant find the connector, its not worth your time to try to get new connectors for the car. just go aftermarket.

maybe bring it to the dealership and talk to one of the mechanics about it. maybe they can find it. if not....go aftermarket. i dont think you'll regret it.
You know, I never thought about the speakers.
But it doesn't look like they touched the door panels.
But then again you never know.
I agree, it might not be worth the time but I'm planning on taking it to a good shop to see if they can be of any help.
Appreciate the advice.