CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Newbie with questions . . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2010 | 01:57 AM

2007 CLK 550 Cab
Newbie with questions . . . .

Hi! I just bought my very first Mercedes - a 2007 CLK 550 Cabriolet (I meant to buy a 350, but somehow the engine got bigger). It's been a long held dream to own a Merc!! Anyway, I've got a couple of questions about the car that maybe someone with experience of MB can answer. None of these are huge deals by themselves, but . . . .

First, the manual says the audio system has an auto volume control based on ambient cabin noise (the car has the COMAND system and the "deluxe" audio with satellite). However, it doesn't work. The dealer says they checked the audio unit "codes" and my particular vehicle doesn't have that feature, no matter what the manual says. Even my my 2002 Chevy pickup truck has an auto volume control. Is the dealer's story credible? Did MB make some of these vehicles without that feature?

Second, when I bought the car (from a dealer, as Certified pre-owned) the advertised spec. for the car said it had paddle shifters. It doesn't. The sales people were perplexed by the spec. in the ad (which they say was taken from the VIN, as stored by MBUSA), but say the 2007 CLK never had paddle shifters. The service manager is intrigued by this, as he says what the "mother ship" (MBUSA) had on record should be correct. Could this feature have somehow been removed?

Finally, I just joined mBrace. When I tried the "search and send" feature, it wouldn't work. I called MB, and the rep. said that feature won't work with the 2007 CLK, despite the fact that the brochure seems to indicate it will (I do have the COMAND system). Any thoughts on any of the above would be much appreciated. Other than the above issues, the car is fabulous! Thanks!
Old 03-23-2010 | 02:45 AM

CLK350 Sport
Sorry, does not mean to thread-jack here but hopefully this also can be shared by others.

I just owned the 07 CLK350 with sport package and I feel the drive is not as smooth as Lexus IS250. Is it just because that MB runs that way or something wrong with my car? I can feel the road pavement while in Lexus, I feel like flying. It's so smooth.

What do you think Joe?
Old 03-23-2010 | 02:51 AM

Suzuki Burgman Executive
Originally Posted by csxian
Sorry, does not mean to thread-jack here but hopefully this also can be shared by others.

I just owned the 07 CLK350 with sport package and I feel the drive is not as smooth as Lexus IS250. Is it just because that MB runs that way or something wrong with my car? I can feel the road pavement while in Lexus, I feel like flying. It's so smooth.

What do you think Joe?
I also came from a IS250 to my CLK500, the CLK is a lot more comfortable. The IS was a terrible car to have in Chicago due the condition of our roads. Not to mention the rattles that the car developed...
Old 03-23-2010 | 02:53 AM

Suzuki Burgman Executive
Originally Posted by JoeBloggs
Hi! I just bought my very first Mercedes - a 2007 CLK 550 Cabriolet (I meant to buy a 350, but somehow the engine got bigger). It's been a long held dream to own a Merc!! Anyway, I've got a couple of questions about the car that maybe someone with experience of MB can answer. None of these are huge deals by themselves, but . . . .

First, the manual says the audio system has an auto volume control based on ambient cabin noise (the car has the COMAND system and the "deluxe" audio with satellite). However, it doesn't work. The dealer says they checked the audio unit "codes" and my particular vehicle doesn't have that feature, no matter what the manual says. Even my my 2002 Chevy pickup truck has an auto volume control. Is the dealer's story credible? Did MB make some of these vehicles without that feature?

Second, when I bought the car (from a dealer, as Certified pre-owned) the advertised spec. for the car said it had paddle shifters. It doesn't. The sales people were perplexed by the spec. in the ad (which they say was taken from the VIN, as stored by MBUSA), but say the 2007 CLK never had paddle shifters. The service manager is intrigued by this, as he says what the "mother ship" (MBUSA) had on record should be correct. Could this feature have somehow been removed?

Finally, I just joined mBrace. When I tried the "search and send" feature, it wouldn't work. I called MB, and the rep. said that feature won't work with the 2007 CLK, despite the fact that the brochure seems to indicate it will (I do have the COMAND system). Any thoughts on any of the above would be much appreciated. Other than the above issues, the car is fabulous! Thanks!
Go to another dealer! They sound like lying cheats, and not to sound like an *** how did you not notice that car doesnt have paddle shifters when you took it for a test drive.
Old 03-23-2010 | 07:54 AM

2007 CLK 550 Cab
Originally Posted by audi_guy
Go to another dealer! They sound like lying cheats, and not to sound like an *** how did you not notice that car doesnt have paddle shifters when you took it for a test drive.
Of course I noticed it doesn't have paddle shifters, but I liked the car so much I bought it anyway. I said up front that none of the issues were a big deal by themselves. It was because I brought the issue up that the sales people were puzzled as to why the spec. list would include the shifters. The question is more to do with why the spec. stored by MBUSA from the VIN would say it has the shifters. Is it more likely that MBUSA's info from the VIN is just plain wrong somehow, or is it more likely that the shifters were removed?

But thanks anyway for your reply.
Old 03-23-2010 | 08:02 AM

2007 CLK 550 Cab

What do you think Joe?
I've never driven the Lexus so I can't really comment. I did test both a BMW 330Ci and an Audi A4, both in convertible form, and the CLK was much, much smoother than both of those in terms of ride comfort. But I do notice road noise in my CLK when on poor quality roads. I put it down to the fat tyres on the back. For such low profile tyres, the smoothness of the ride is really quite amazing on my CLK. Maybe your sport package is set up wrong somehow? Or maybe a compromise in ride quality is part of the deal for getting better handling?
Old 03-23-2010 | 10:07 AM

2008 ML550 P2. 2010 E350 P2
Can't answer yuor questions Joe, but congrats on the car.

You made the right decision going with the 550. Many on the forum get the 6 cyclinder and get bored with it. They end up selling it and buying the 8 cylinder or get talked out of dumping money into performance upgrades that cost a lot and do little.

Enjoy the car....
Old 03-23-2010 | 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
My 2007 CLK550 coupe has the paddle shifters and it's my understanding that all of the 550s have, or at least should, have the paddle shifters. Maybe the previous owner swapped out the steering wheel for one without the paddle shifters, but it should have it. And if the ad says it should, then you might even be able to argue your way to a new steering wheel.
Old 03-24-2010 | 03:38 PM

W209 500
Go back to the dealer and give them hell. BTW, my 05 CLK500 has the shifters. hehe
Old 03-24-2010 | 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
I always hated the auto volume in previous cars, and I did have a dealer shut off the feature. Maybe that was done to your car and the dealer you're at can't figure that out? They do sound like dopes....congrats on the car, and welcome to the forum.
Old 03-24-2010 | 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by guofan
Go back to the dealer and give them hell. BTW, my 05 CLK500 has the shifters. hehe
your is buttons not paddle.

Andy
Old 03-25-2010 | 12:52 AM

W209 500
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
your is buttons not paddle.

Andy
I feel stupid now. lol Thanks Andy.
Old 03-25-2010 | 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
just saying man dont feel bad LOL.

Andy
Old 03-25-2010 | 01:02 AM

2020 GLS450, 2022 SL55 AMG, 2022 C300
Does your car have wood/leather steering wheel?
Old 03-25-2010 | 01:08 AM

What do you think Joe?
If you want soft boat-like ride - buy Lexus or Cadillac. All Benz cars have tight ride (especially sport package), so you can handle and maneuver...
Old 03-25-2010 | 01:37 AM

2007 CLK 550 Cab
Originally Posted by storm10
Does your car have wood/leather steering wheel?
Yes it does have the wood & leather wheel.
BTW - thanks to everyone on the forum. Seems like a friendly bunch!
Old 03-25-2010 | 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Welcome and congrats on the new car, I'm in the SF Bay Area also. Where in the Bay are you? PM me if you want. TC
Old 03-25-2010 | 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs
Yes it does have the wood & leather wheel.
BTW - thanks to everyone on the forum. Seems like a friendly bunch!
Here is the answer to your question:

All 2007 CLK550 Cabriolets came with AMG Sport package, which automatically came with steering wheel shift paddles. However if you picked Wood/leather steering wheel option -you would loose shift paddles, because wood/leather steering wheel was not available with shift paddles in 2007. Wood/leather steering wheel was available at the order or installed by the dealership, so original sticker could show that car has shift paddles as a standard equippment. By the way, you can still shift using your transmission stick, which I find a lot easier anyway.

As far as eMbrace: in 2007 Mercedes had Tele Aid system, which is similar to eMbrace, but with less features, but MB database converted the code to be the same, thats why it shows eMbrace in the computer. If you find real original sticker it will show Tele-Aid.

Also, 2007 models came with the Lifetime roadside assisstance (if you did not know), so you don't really need AAA service. If you have any problems with the car, call 1.800.FOR.MERCEDES.
Old 03-25-2010 | 12:42 PM

2007 CLK 550 Cab
Originally Posted by storm10
Here is the answer to your question:

All 2007 CLK550 Cabriolets came with AMG Sport package, which automatically came with steering wheel shift paddles. However if you picked Wood/leather steering wheel option -you would loose shift paddles, because wood/leather steering wheel was not available with shift paddles in 2007. Wood/leather steering wheel was available at the order or installed by the dealership, so original sticker could show that car has shift paddles as a standard equippment. By the way, you can still shift using your transmission stick, which I find a lot easier anyway.

As far as eMbrace: in 2007 Mercedes had Tele Aid system, which is similar to eMbrace, but with less features, but MB database converted the code to be the same, thats why it shows eMbrace in the computer. If you find real original sticker it will show Tele-Aid.

Also, 2007 models came with the Lifetime roadside assisstance (if you did not know), so you don't really need AAA service. If you have any problems with the car, call 1.800.FOR.MERCEDES.
Great info, Storm. Thanks! That makes sense. I wonder if the wood wheel is available now with the paddles - it sounds like all the rest of the wiring, software, etc. may already be there.

The mbrace people are now telling me that only the COMAND units with the hard drive can do search and send. Mine has the DVD unit. I'll wait and see - the vehicle needs a software upgrade to use mbrace anyway - it turns out it's still trying to connect to tele-aid

Thanks again for the input. I'm off to see the dealer!!