CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CD Changer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes CLK500
CD Changer

Ok, so I got a question. My radio says "No CD Changer" on the screen, but I unplugged all the fiber-optic cables and power lines and hooked them all back up. no breaks/cracks in the lines, and the radio itself shuts off when the fiber-optics become unplugged. So obviously it reads it there, gets power because it kicks the CD cartridge out, but why in the world does it say No CD Changer? I was told the changer has died, but I don't get how if everything else works.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
I haven't looked at the connections on the CD changer but I presume that it's powered up like everything else (wired) then the audio signal is transfered to the head unit via fiber optic cable. If the audio sending unit, decoder, etc is damaged it still may very well be able to power up and eject the cartridge as it is basically a seperate system. Even the old CD changers (before optical) were like this, I had 2 die on me that 'appeared' to be working because I could load and eject the CD cartridge.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:28 PM

2003 Mercedes CLK500
Would there be a way to either repair, or replace the sending unit, without replacing the whole unit? I would rather not spend $200+ on a CD changer if I can just re-solder a connection or something. I may have to take it apart and inspect it all...

Another question, with the CD changer out to look at it, how do the fiber-optics have to be run to still have the radio work?
Old 08-02-2010, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
I worked for a major car & home audio electronics company for a while and it was very, very, very rare that the repair costs for a CD changer were less than the cost to replace the whole unit. Being that this is an MB piece, I can't see it being a cheap fix. If the actual cost to replace the CD chager is only $200, I'm surprised and even though I don't know what the issue with your changer is, the price is very good.

My suggestion is to make some calls to various audio retailers in your area and speak to their instal manager - he'll tell you where they send their stuff to be serviced (local, not on warranty), then call them and ask if they'll take a look at your changer.

As for removing it and re-routing the fiber optics, I really have no idea, I'd have to see a schematic and see if it's possible or not. is it daisy chained?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:19 PM

2003 Mercedes CLK500
$200 used, I would do the install and removal myself. I didnt even think about having a place look at doing a rebuild... Maybe Ill Call around a bit.