CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Fog / Mist / stuff on inside windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 CLA 250, 2003 CLK320
Fog / Mist / stuff on inside windshield

Hi guys, I think I read something a while ago on this issue but can't find anything with search.

I have this strange problem on my 03 where with time the windshield accumulates some stuff on the inside. It looks like there is some fog or grease covering the whole inside of the windshield and independent of temperature / climate control settings. Once it shows up, the only way to get it off is to use a rag and some force to wipe it off. As it is a bit greasy consistency it take some effort to clean off. Its very visible when driving in the direction of the sun and drives me nuts I drive east in the AM and west in the PM.

I think it might be related to the AC mold issue and I do have the crappy smell when I turn on the AC. Any input would be greatly appreciated and help to keep my sanity or at least slow down the descent in to madness
Old 08-27-2010, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E90 M3
I have this same issue, or at least very similar. I have chalked it up to having to do with me driving with all of the windows down a lot.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So far I have two possible explanations:

The vinyl used on vehicle dashboards contain plasticizers. UV and heat radiation will also cause the plasticizers to dry out, resulting in a chemical film that when combined with road oils, dirt and grease introduced via by the vehicles a/c system results in a stubborn haze or fog that forms a cohesive bond with the interior glass surfaces.

OR

Anti-freeze from a leaking heater core

The ethylene glycol in anti-freeze is a desiccant, so when it gets muggy out (such as when it's raining), it likes to soak up the vapor--hence the fog.

Both are very bad for your health. I don't have any anti-freeze smell in the car but it could be a small leak. I did have the radiator/trans issue and the radiator was replaced 12 months ago but I think I had the same fog issue before that.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
That smell must suck! I remember a thread about something like this but the problem was on the outside. https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...there-fix.html
Old 08-27-2010, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

this is more like some grease substance... some residue... milky/hazy, swirls/streaks when you clean it

but there is not associated antifreezy odor that I can tell..
Old 08-28-2010, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK350
Originally Posted by kevblah
I have this same issue, or at least very similar. I have chalked it up to having to do with me driving with all of the windows down a lot.
I also have the problem, and I drive with both of the front windows down almost all the time, unless it's unbearably hot outside. Probably the reason.

This reminds me, I need to clean it off.