CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Useless DDM HID Kits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C250 Coupe
Thumbs down Useless DDM HID Kits

So I purchased a DDM Slim Ballast kit 35W 8k. I finally get it and complete the install. I also order the error eliminator module. Fist impression is a long delay in igniting the bulbs (5+ seconds) and regardless of the "error eliminator" being connected, I still get the bulb out warning on the dash. So I have to turn off the lights and back on to get it to work.

Next, i get out of the car and lock my door, and wait, my remote doesn’t work. Thinking its too coincidental, try my other remote and same thing. So I get in the car and start it up to see if there is a battery issues or something and the radio was on, but now I have lots of static and interference. What the heck is going on here.

I back the car out of the garage and drive off, the right side headlight just turns off, so I turn the whole system off and back on again, now it work but interference is still there and I can't get radio stations to work clearly.

I call DDM and they tell me they are aware of these issues and tell me to wrap my ballast in aluminum foil WTF? Aluminum foil???? Is this why I bought a kit for so that I have to rig it? Why don't they simply tell you this upfront so you can make a decision before wasting time and your money. Off course not, then they wouldn’t be in business. Ohh and speaking of rigging, the H7 bulb doesn’t have the housing the metal clasp connects to to hold it in place to put in the socket, so I have to use electrical tape to secure the clasp and bulb together so I can mount it in the socket. I don't mind modifications but what's next, wraps the cables in foam?

A total joke!! How can you tell a customer that your only option is to wrap a ballast in foil? What kind of cheap engineering is this, how come not fix the problem you clearly know about before selling the product? Guess that's why they are so cheap in price, quality and performance pays the price and we the customers end up with the short stick.

FYI for those considering DDM!!!

Last edited by jagundo; 09-03-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
That sucks. I know what a PITA these HID kits could be. CLKBOI has them installed I believe with no problems