CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Detailing products...what do you use to make it Bling out of control?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by dynomite05
That guy should be ashamed of himself.
Absolutely.

Funnily enough, after he posted up these pictures, everyone started jumping in with their negative feedback.... he has not returned to that forum since.

lol

Old 02-07-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by mikata
Hey buddy,

Because I have lacquered it I can't wax it because it will ruin the lacquer protection, as I have understod it it's a thin film on the car, like vinyl.
Do you know if there is any products that I can use that will not ruin the lacquer protection? I want my car to shine like yours
Hi mate,

I'm surprised you can't wax it.
Were you told that you can't wax the car?

I will try and find some products that are lacquer-safe.

Strange. I would have thought you could wax straight on top of a lacquered surface.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Originally Posted by Rashman
Hi mate,

I'm surprised you can't wax it.
Were you told that you can't wax the car?

I will try and find some products that are lacquer-safe.

Strange. I would have thought you could wax straight on top of a lacquered surface.

Thanks buddy.

The company that did the treatment to the car said that If I use this lacquer I should not wax the car. See this video for more information.
http://ditec.se/video.aspx click on Ditec, the first to the left.
Disregard the boring swedish language
If I use wax it would ruin the treatment. I'm supposed to "ditec" the car every 18 month.
But It's still not as shiney as your car
Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Thanks buddy.

The company that did the treatment to the car said that If I use this lacquer I should not wax the car. See this video for more information.
If I use wax it would ruin the treatment. I'm supposed to "ditec" the car every 18 month.
The steps they take in the video are:
*Wash the car
*Rub it with some clay to "clog the pores" in the paint.
*Polish it to remove oxides and scratches
*Use an activater to apply a thin invisible film that will protect the car from dirt, salt etc.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:31 AM

Thanks buddy.

Hmm, I'll do abit of reading up on this Ditec later today.

I'd be interested to know if they meant that waxing the car would "spoil" the treatment or "damage" the surface.

They may have meant that waxing the car afterwards may just negate the purpose of having the treatment.

I'll read up on it later today or tonight.

Thanks again for your compliments on my car!
I'm pleased to hear that the shine makes an impact on people.

Hope you are well, and didn't wake up too late for work!

lol!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209

I'd be interested to know if they meant that waxing the car would "spoil" the treatment or "damage" the surface.

They may have meant that waxing the car afterwards may just negate the purpose of having the treatment.

lol!
If I had a shiney car like your's everybody would turn their heads when I drove by
I think they meant waxing would spoil the treatment. I'm not good with choosing words

Yeah I woke up in time but It wasn't easy let me tell you

Yeah get back to me when you have checked the video. I want my car to bling like your's
Old 02-10-2011, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209

lol!
Hey buddy,

Did you get a chance to see the video?
Where do I find the 425? Where can I buy it?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
I bought it off eBay.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
I bought it off eBay.
What's it called more than 425?
Link on ebay?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Finish Kare #425. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=56518633445
Old 02-10-2011, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Thanks Wes! I'm going to drench the car with this to make it look wet and shiney
Old 02-10-2011, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
That guy should be ashamed of himself.
I just noticed this

Ashamed just isn't enough I'm affraid.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:28 PM

Hey buddy,

Did you get a chance to see the video?
Where do I find the 425? Where can I buy it?
Yo!

Sorry for the very late response! lol!

Yeah, I saw the video.

To be honest, I think that you would be able to protect your car yourself with just regular cleaning and waxing.

But it depends how much time you have I guess.
I'm lucky in the sense that I don't need to drive my car to work etc.
It's more of a weekend play thing, so I can spend all week grooming and waxing etc.

By the way, clay is used to removed bonded on crap (brake dust, rail dust, deisel !ploomage" from other cars on the road and all other kinds of crap that sticks itself to your car) from your paintwork.

Clay does not clog the pores in your surface, but merely cleans it, ready for sealants and waxes.

Dynomite answered your question before me.
Finish Kare #425 is what you're after, as Dynomite says.
It's very very good stuff and it is all I use to clean my car.

I spray it onto a microfibre and wipe the car down gently, turning the microfibre as I go and using other clean microfibres when you no longer have a clean side to the microfibre.
A meguiars microfibre has 8 sides that you can use before using another MF.
Fold it twice and use a quarter of a side, turn over, then fold back on itself and then turn the MF inside out and do the same on the other side.
That way, you won't find yourself using sh#t loads of MF's!

I would also suggest using the "sex pest buff" method that I described before, but I think most of you thought I was a pretty strange fellow when I talked about that! LOL!

It bloody works though and leaves a ridiculously slippery surface!

Listen, is there anyway you can get that protective film removed from your car, maybe through multiple cleans or clays or something?

I honestly believe that you could protect your car well enough yourself with layers of a good wax.. you would also be able to build yourself a deep shine in the process!

Hope you are well buddy.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kevwood
I just noticed this

Ashamed just isn't enough I'm affraid.
Absolutely!

I don't think he has been back on that forum since!

LOL!

Old 02-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
I think I'm going to invest in a portable garment steamer because my lungs won't last for the whole car.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:59 PM

I think I'm going to invest in a portable garment steamer because my lungs won't last for the whole car.

LOL!!!

You don't have to go at it like a rapist!!!!

LOL!!!!!!

Take your time.

Breathe alittle and buff alittle.

All you need is alittle moisture from your breathe to remove the "hidden" streaks of 425.

Garment steamer may work, but may generate too much moisture on the body... then you'll be back to square one, with streaks.

It's also worth mentioning that the sex pest buff is alot easier in colder conditions as it doesn't take much to work up some condensation from your breath.

In summer, I damn near pass out because you need warmer breath to work up condensation!

LOL!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
hahah
Old 02-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
LOL!!!

You don't have to go at it like a rapist!!!!

LOL!!!!!!

Take your time.

Breathe alittle and buff alittle.

All you need is alittle moisture from your breathe to remove the "hidden" streaks of 425.

Garment steamer may work, but may generate too much moisture on the body... then you'll be back to square one, with streaks.

It's also worth mentioning that the sex pest buff is alot easier in colder conditions as it doesn't take much to work up some condensation from your breath.

In summer, I damn near pass out because you need warmer breath to work up condensation!

LOL!

lol, very true. I was testing it out on the fenders the other day in 20 degree weather and it was pretty easy. You notice the streaks right away. I was just pressed for time. I will definitely try it again this weekend.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:12 PM

lol, very true. I was testing it out on the fenders the other day in 20 degree weather and it was pretty easy. You notice the streaks right away. I was just pressed for time. I will definitely try it again this weekend.

Good lad.

You'll be very surprised by how much more slippery the finish is afterwards.

MF's will simply slide off your finish.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Yo!

Sorry for the very late response! lol!

Yeah, I saw the video.

To be honest, I think that you would be able to protect your car yourself with just regular cleaning and waxing.

But it depends how much time you have I guess.
I'm lucky in the sense that I don't need to drive my car to work etc.
It's more of a weekend play thing, so I can spend all week grooming and waxing etc.

By the way, clay is used to removed bonded on crap (brake dust, rail dust, deisel !ploomage" from other cars on the road and all other kinds of crap that sticks itself to your car) from your paintwork.

Clay does not clog the pores in your surface, but merely cleans it, ready for sealants and waxes.

Dynomite answered your question before me.
Finish Kare #425 is what you're after, as Dynomite says.
It's very very good stuff and it is all I use to clean my car.

I spray it onto a microfibre and wipe the car down gently, turning the microfibre as I go and using other clean microfibres when you no longer have a clean side to the microfibre.
A meguiars microfibre has 8 sides that you can use before using another MF.
Fold it twice and use a quarter of a side, turn over, then fold back on itself and then turn the MF inside out and do the same on the other side.
That way, you won't find yourself using sh#t loads of MF's!

I would also suggest using the "sex pest buff" method that I described before, but I think most of you thought I was a pretty strange fellow when I talked about that! LOL!

It bloody works though and leaves a ridiculously slippery surface!

Listen, is there anyway you can get that protective film removed from your car, maybe through multiple cleans or clays or something?

I honestly believe that you could protect your car well enough yourself with layers of a good wax.. you would also be able to build yourself a deep shine in the process!

Hope you are well buddy.
Hey buddy,
I'm well, just have been traveling alot lately. Hope you are well to.

I will print out these instructions for my next car wash I will place an order for the #425 today.
You are correct regarding that I can by regular cleaning and waxing protect the paint just as good as ditec. It's just that I haven't waxed a car a day in my life
The ditec is for those who don't want to wax their cars, but for me it's just that I have no competence in this matter.

The film wears of after 18 months or so, so I have to take it back sept or october. Im thinking that I can just wax the car myself, I'll probably get a deeper shine I have read that I can use the 425 with my lacquer sealment.

Thanks for the instructions bud!
Old 02-11-2011, 02:41 PM

Hey buddy,
I'm well, just have been traveling alot lately. Hope you are well to.

I will print out these instructions for my next car wash I will place an order for the #425 today.
You are correct regarding that I can by regular cleaning and waxing protect the paint just as good as ditec. It's just that I haven't waxed a car a day in my life
The ditec is for those who don't want to wax their cars, but for me it's just that I have no competence in this matter.

The film wears of after 18 months or so, so I have to take it back sept or october. Im thinking that I can just wax the car myself, I'll probably get a deeper shine I have read that I can use the 425 with my lacquer sealment.

Thanks for the instructions bud!
Hey buddy,

I understand what you say about not being competent/ experienced bout using various products on your car.
In fact, back in the day, I knew bugger all about bugger all! lol
But I slowly learned about various products and the best ways to use them.

You'll be ok.
Just try things slowly.
With wax, it's pretty easy going.
Get yourself some foam wax applicators, which basically foam pads that you use to apply the wax to your car (pretty much the same foam pads that your wife/ girlfriend would use to apply her makeup.. only bigger).

Get yourself a decent wax in paste form, like boot polish in a tin.
I use Finish Kare #2685 - mainly because it is a layering wax that can be applied again and again to build a great, glossy, deep shine - and also because I probably have OCD and like to apply wax every 2 minutes! lol!
There are many waxes out there that are great, some people prefer some to others.

Smear your foam applicator across the top of the wax in the tin a few time and then apply to your clean, dry paintwork in small circles.
Some people like to wax a section at a time and then remove it when it's dry and hazed-over.
I, on the other hand, like to apply wax to the whole car and then remove it when it is all dry - even the windows and rims.

In warmer conditions, the wax will dry quicker, so I will wax half the car and then remove it before carrying on with the other half of the car.

Wax in the shade and not in direct sunlight - even better, in a garage if you have one.

To remove the wax, use a clean microfibre, shaking it regularly to shake out the dry wax residue and turning it regularly.
Use another microfibre when the microfibre feels clogged with wax residue.

I prefer to remove the wax using circular motions.

After removing all the wax, apply some #425 - if you're not to tired! .... applying and removing wax usually takes me 2hrs, so I sometimes head back to the garage the following day to apply the #425.

To apply #425, I fold a microfibre twice and then spray #425 onto it until it is wet but not soaking.
Then gently wipe the microfibre over the car a panel at a time.
#425 spreads very well, so you don't need loads of it. Just spray more #425 onto the microfibre when you feel you need to.
Fold to another side of the microfibre if needed.

Then employ the sex pest buff if you want to. lol!

Listen, one other thing....

I appreciate that my cleaning methods are rather unorthodox. I never suggest that anyone use my methods. I've just found a system that works for me, that's all. I can get away with just using #425 to clean my car because I don't drive it in rain, winter, or dirty conditions - so the car is never really that dirty.

This is why I can gently wipe of brake dust etc without dragging contaminants across the paintwork before using #425 to wipe it down.
That and the ludicrous amounts of wax that I have applied to the car over the last year and a half! lol!

If you drive your car everyday, then you may want to use water and soap to remove bonded on mud and grass etc, and NOT employ my cleaning methods.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Hey buddy,

I understand what you say about not being competent/ experienced bout using various products on your car.
In fact, back in the day, I knew bugger all about bugger all! lol
But I slowly learned about various products and the best ways to use them.

You'll be ok.
Just try things slowly.
With wax, it's pretty easy going.
Get yourself some foam wax applicators, which basically foam pads that you use to apply the wax to your car (pretty much the same foam pads that your wife/ girlfriend would use to apply her makeup.. only bigger).

Get yourself a decent wax in paste form, like boot polish in a tin.
I use Finish Kare #2685 - mainly because it is a layering wax that can be applied again and again to build a great, glossy, deep shine - and also because I probably have OCD and like to apply wax every 2 minutes! lol!
There are many waxes out there that are great, some people prefer some to others.

Smear your foam applicator across the top of the wax in the tin a few time and then apply to your clean, dry paintwork in small circles.
Some people like to wax a section at a time and then remove it when it's dry and hazed-over.
I, on the other hand, like to apply wax to the whole car and then remove it when it is all dry - even the windows and rims.

In warmer conditions, the wax will dry quicker, so I will wax half the car and then remove it before carrying on with the other half of the car.

Wax in the shade and not in direct sunlight - even better, in a garage if you have one.

To remove the wax, use a clean microfibre, shaking it regularly to shake out the dry wax residue and turning it regularly.
Use another microfibre when the microfibre feels clogged with wax residue.

I prefer to remove the wax using circular motions.

After removing all the wax, apply some #425 - if you're not to tired! .... applying and removing wax usually takes me 2hrs, so I sometimes head back to the garage the following day to apply the #425.

To apply #425, I fold a microfibre twice and then spray #425 onto it until it is wet but not soaking.
Then gently wipe the microfibre over the car a panel at a time.
#425 spreads very well, so you don't need loads of it. Just spray more #425 onto the microfibre when you feel you need to.
Fold to another side of the microfibre if needed.

Then employ the sex pest buff if you want to. lol!

Listen, one other thing....

I appreciate that my cleaning methods are rather unorthodox. I never suggest that anyone use my methods. I've just found a system that works for me, that's all. I can get away with just using #425 to clean my car because I don't drive it in rain, winter, or dirty conditions - so the car is never really that dirty.

This is why I can gently wipe of brake dust etc without dragging contaminants across the paintwork before using #425 to wipe it down.
That and the ludicrous amounts of wax that I have applied to the car over the last year and a half! lol!

If you drive your car everyday, then you may want to use water and soap to remove bonded on mud and grass etc, and NOT employ my cleaning methods.

Thanks for the great instructions bud.

I only drive the car in the spring and summer but under that period I drive it everyday. I'm just like you, I want to wash it every 2 minutes like you want to wax it, but with 425 I think that I can cut some car washes

It may be unorthodox cleaning methods but it shows in the pics that it's working

Just have to ask, do you have any mods planned for the 63? I hope not
Old 02-11-2011, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209, E46 M3 (dead), S54 swapped E46 Touring
128oz Finish Kare 425 on amazon.com for $29.99

http://www.amazon.com/128oz-Finish-K...7455978&sr=8-1
Old 02-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Thank You sir. Just bought one to keep on the side.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the great instructions bud.

I only drive the car in the spring and summer but under that period I drive it everyday. I'm just like you, I want to wash it every 2 minutes like you want to wax it, but with 425 I think that I can cut some car washes

It may be unorthodox cleaning methods but it shows in the pics that it's working

Just have to ask, do you have any mods planned for the 63? I hope not

lol... yeah, the car cleaning becomes somewhat of an obsession!

#425 will definately save you washes.

Thanks for your compliments on my car/ pictures.

Mods?.... mmm, not really.
I've put staggered Mandrus rims on it, spacers at the rear, rear diffuser, Black Series steering wheel, Brushed AMG door pins, K&N's, AMG sprintbooster, removed the silencer from the exhaust and had an "economy tune" lol!
I could get headers for it and possibly the pulley upgrade, but I may just leave it as it is now.

I was contemplating a CF spoiler, but I'll only get one if I happen to find one cheap.

Possibly some Bilstein B14's too... but if I'm honest, my driving style doesn't really demand them.
Don't get me wrong, I drive it hard, but I also drive with alot of mechanical sympathy and I don't demand much from it in the bends.
I love the aggressive accellarating more than the cornering.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Detailing products...what do you use to make it Bling out of control?