CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

new guy with convert top problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 mercedes benz clk320
Cool new guy with convert top problem

Hi guys, I'm glad to find this forum, hope someone can help. I used to own a 67' 230SL, rebuilt it from the ground up, that car was great (old style like me) no electronics, I had it for 25 years but lost it in Katrina.
I just got back into the Mercedes convertible family yesterday with a 1999 CLK320 I'm real excited about the car but realize it probably won't be as easy to work on as my old SL. I'm not scared to take on a project.
Here's the problem, I put the top down & can't get it back up, the top switch is blinking red, I don't hear any pumps or motors running, I checked for blown fuses but all look OK (the car didn't come with an owners manual or service manual so I have no info, I have ordered them & they should be here soon)
I guess i could disconnect the actuators from the top & put it up manualy, any suggestions?
Old 01-08-2011, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Her the user's manual for the Clk350, 500, 55...etc. Your Clk320 might have some of the same features. Give it a try.

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...0_clk63amg.pdf
Old 01-08-2011, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
Originally Posted by bobby dupuy
Hi guys, I'm glad to find this forum, hope someone can help. I used to own a 67' 230SL, rebuilt it from the ground up, that car was great (old style like me) no electronics, I had it for 25 years but lost it in Katrina.
I just got back into the Mercedes convertible family yesterday with a 1999 CLK320 I'm real excited about the car but realize it probably won't be as easy to work on as my old SL. I'm not scared to take on a project.
Here's the problem, I put the top down & can't get it back up, the top switch is blinking red, I don't hear any pumps or motors running, I checked for blown fuses but all look OK (the car didn't come with an owners manual or service manual so I have no info, I have ordered them & they should be here soon)
I guess i could disconnect the actuators from the top & put it up manualy, any suggestions?
FYI, your chassis code is W208 (1998 - 2002 Coupes, 1999 - 2003 Convert), so I would first search that forum first (type "Convertible", then select "thread titles"), read all the related threads; and if you still can't find the answer; post a thread like you did right here.

Another FYI. Since you are a new member, other member might be reluctant to help you right away (9 times out of 10; newbies join, ask one question, get their answer, and is never heard from again) if they think you have not searched first. So if you post another new thread in the 208 forums, try to say things like, "I searched and found this thread and that thread (link the threads) and I still can't find the answer". I guess what I'm trying to say is: people will help you if they think/know you've done more (research; books; etc) than just ask a question (especially if you are a new member).

Good Luck
Old 01-08-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 mercedes benz clk320
new guy

thanks for the users manual & all other info regarding this forum, I did search all the threads but never found anything like my problem, I think i may have a bad relay. thanks for the feedback