CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Common Problems with CLK500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
benzo larenzo
i need trany oil change also!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:18 PM

CLK 550
How often do u guys change oil?

I heard every 10k mile is optimal

Mobil 1 synthetic?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
I used to do it every 3k but know I do it every 5k.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

benzo larenzo
Originally Posted by dynomite05
I used to do it every 3k but know I do it every 5k.
first was at 10k then i was like *** this i do it every month now =D
Old 01-16-2011, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by badblackbenz550
first was at 10k then i was like *** this i do it every month now =D
So you change your oil almost as much as you change your tires now?
Old 01-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Banned

benzo larenzo
Originally Posted by Kevwood
So you change your oil almost as much as you change your tires now?
indeed =D
Old 01-16-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320
would cam position sensor be wise to do in advance on a higher mileage car? can't find the part on parts.com...
Old 04-21-2011, 09:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
15' CLS400
Replaced:

seatbelt pully. I guess the test is.. they pull the seatbelt out and if it doesn't retract all the way, they'll replace it.

Cam sensors. There are 4 of them and they seem to go all around the same time. Cheap parts but it sucks having to go to the dealership to find out your check engine light is on because of one of them.

Thermostat. Got a check engine light on for this too.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:52 AM

05 CLK 500 Convertible
QUESTION: TRANSMISSION CONTROL UNIT INTERNAL FAILURE

05 CLK 500

Diagnostic says "transmission control unit internal failure". What are possible causes or is it just wear and tear? Been reading several issues associated with this model's transmission control module and one is the seal and just wanted to know if possibly applies in my case.

Thanks for your insight Benzers!

Last edited by cigarfoxy; 06-01-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: left out word
Old 06-01-2012, 10:38 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
That has the early 7GTRONIC which was prone to several failures. It could be a TCU failure, or it may just need a new contact plate, or a new valve body.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:48 PM

CLK500
Hello,

I own a 2004 CLK500 recently my AC started to fail by not cooling, all I had to do is turn off the car off and it was solved. Now the problem has gotten out of hand that I have to turn on and off the car many times in order for the AC to work.

I already checked everything I could but I haven't been able to figure what the problem is.

any ideas will be helpful.

Mel
Old 06-08-2013, 03:19 PM

clk 500
battery

every time i start the car i have the red battery icon and go to dealer ..it cuts windows sunroofs ..almost every thing electric in the car ...the battery is in perfect condition the alternator too ..it goes ok after 30 sec .. thx
Old 06-08-2013, 09:16 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
How do you know the battery and alternator are working correctly? Have you tested them? I'd start with a voltmeter on the battery - you should have at least 12.5v at rest, no less than 11v during cranking, and then at least 14v when idling. Also, if your battery is not completely sealed, get a hygrometer and test the specific gravity of each cell. And if the water is low, add distilled water.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:09 PM

Clk 320
From researching

Originally Posted by 2MCHCAR
I've replaced under warranty:
  • AC Stepper Motor
  • Rear Seal
  • Valve Gaskets
  • Transmission Plug (harness going into the tranny leaks oil)
  • Seat Warmer
  • 3rd Brake light
  • Engine Motor Mounts
  • Tranny Mounts
  • Seat belt Mechanism (that pulls the seatbelt back in)
  • Removed that damn "SOS Malfunction" indicator
  • Various Suspension bushings
  • Headlight Xenon ballast
  • Windshield wiper adjustment
  • Sunroof adjustment

My problems
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
Could you answer the questions above ? I plan to go to the shop on Monday to inspect everything.
From research All of this I have seen more than once but usually not all on the same car... lol just unlucky

Also the Headrest module and theirs a problem with the windows I heard but didn't get into it much.

Mine had some of these problems most fixed but the 3rd stop light flickers by bad wires so I need to fix and my passenger window is suppose to auto pop down a few cm's on each side when you open the door and the side closest to the mirror doesn't but you can press the window down with your hand so i think its disconnected or the motor is shot.

I have the sports suspension and get alot of issues. In the last 2 months I have had at 98k miles have my sway bar links replaced, control arm, both rear struts, a belt tensioner and now I got this window and rear light problem
Old 12-16-2015, 07:27 PM

2005 MB CLK 500
Thank You!

Originally Posted by 2MCHCAR
I've replaced under warranty:
  • AC Stepper Motor
  • Rear Seal
  • Valve Gaskets
  • Transmission Plug (harness going into the tranny leaks oil)
  • Seat Warmer
  • 3rd Brake light
  • Engine Motor Mounts
  • Tranny Mounts
  • Seat belt Mechanism (that pulls the seatbelt back in)
  • Removed that damn "SOS Malfunction" indicator
  • Various Suspension bushings
  • Headlight Xenon ballast
  • Windshield wiper adjustment
  • Sunroof adjustment

I have a 2005 CLK 500, Purchased in 2006 with 24k miles, and this community has help me enjoy my vehicle. I have had to replace some of the listed items. It also makes it very easy. Thank you again as we all some way or another benefit from everyone's advise. Now I am looking for some mods. I'll keep reading.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:54 AM

2005 CLK 500
Originally Posted by mig1980
Good day everyone. My 2006 CLK500 warranty is about to expire in a month. The car really has no problems that I see. What are the most common issues with these cars and what should I have replaced under warranty before it expires?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Most owners fail to do preventative maintenance in their Mercedes benz, this is very important, Mercedes are well known to fail with out warning. These vehicles are designed to last but failing to do maintenance makes a huge difference.

Brake fluid needs replacement every 2 years so flush it out even if it looks good.

Transmission oil and filter every 60k miles, transmission module fails due to metal particles from trans clutches getting inside the module preventing the module to work properly, think of it as a heart attack due to high cholesterol. I would replace it at 40k miles. Yours is a 5 speed so that transmission is pretty good, better than the 7speed due to less clutches, less metal particles.

Engine oil, use synthetic always, do not use k&n oil filter, they do not last 10,000. They will collapse and do more damage.

Do not use k&n air filters either, the oil in them will spray into your Mass air flow meter and damage the sensor. Use regular paper filter.

Power Steering fluid replace it every two-3 years (CHF 11S) this pump is cheap in case you need to replace it. $100-$250

Suspension parts...theres nothing you can do to prevent these from breaking apart but when you replace them use Dorman or MOOG brand, do not buy from ebay, they sell the whole kit very cheap but you get crappy parts.

Sensors, try to use Standard Motor Products brand they specialize in sensors and are made in the USA... I get arguments about Bosh being the best because they are factory brand OEM but hey that sensor that failed at 40k miles is your EOM Bosh brand!

Replace coolant, thermostat, sensor and belt every 3-5 years

Fuel filter every 2 years. DO not drive low on gas very frequent.

Sparkplugs 3-5 years

The Drive shaft flex needs to be checked frequently because it is a rubber part and if it break apart on the highway ufffff you're gonna see some parts from your rear view mirror falling behind

that's most of the regular maintenance.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:03 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by claudioz06
Brake fluid needs replacement every 2 years so flush it out even if it looks good.
This is pretty much the case for any car. Make sure to use DOT 4 fluid that meets the boiling point specs (ATE 200 is good stuff).

Transmission oil and filter every 60k miles, transmission module fails due to metal particles from trans clutches getting inside the module preventing the module to work properly, think of it as a heart attack due to high cholesterol. I would replace it at 40k miles. Yours is a 5 speed so that transmission is pretty good, better than the 7speed due to less clutches, less metal particles.
MBZ official schedule is "sealed for life" on the 722.6 5-speed, and once at 39K for the 722.9 7-speed. After seeing my fluid on the 722.9 at 39K miles, I say change it EVERY 39K miles! And the 722.5 shoud be the same schedule, IMHO.

Suspension parts...theres nothing you can do to prevent these from breaking apart but when you replace them use Dorman or MOOG brand, do not buy from ebay, they sell the whole kit very cheap but you get crappy parts.
Dorman and MOOG are now crappy Chinese brands. Use Lemfoerder - they are the German OEM on these parts.

Sensors, try to use Standard Motor Products brand they specialize in sensors and are made in the USA... I get arguments about Bosh being the best because they are factory brand OEM but hey that sensor that failed at 40k miles is your EOM Bosh brand!
There are a lot of fake Bosch products out there - buy from a reputable dealer, not eBay or Amazon.

Replace coolant, thermostat, sensor and belt every 3-5 years
I'd follow the maintenance schedule for your vehicle. Most are now 100K miles or more for a coolant flush, and the thermostat and sensor are "as needed when they fail".

Fuel filter every 2 years. DO not drive low on gas very frequent.
Good advice on the low gas driving - keep the tank at 1/4 or more. AS for the fuel filter, again, follow the maintenance schedule. if you don;t have a maintenance book in your owner's manual packet, you can download one from http://www.mbusa.com - Owner's Section.

Sparkplugs 3-5 years
Again, check you car's maintenance schedule.

The Drive shaft flex needs to be checked frequently because it is a rubber part and if it break apart on the highway ufffff you're gonna see some parts from your rear view mirror falling behind
Yep, that's one of the items in the "B" service. I have been surprised that our MY2002 C240 flex discs still look like new - no cracks or signs of wear at all.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:19 AM

2005 CLK 500
Originally Posted by Rudeney
This is pretty much the case for any car. Make sure to use DOT 4 fluid that meets the boiling point specs (ATE 200 is good stuff).

MBZ official schedule is "sealed for life" on the 722.6 5-speed, and once at 39K for the 722.9 7-speed. After seeing my fluid on the 722.9 at 39K miles, I say change it EVERY 39K miles! And the 722.5 shoud be the same schedule, IMHO.

Dorman and MOOG are now crappy Chinese brands. Use Lemfoerder - they are the German OEM on these parts.

There are a lot of fake Bosch products out there - buy from a reputable dealer, not eBay or Amazon.

I'd follow the maintenance schedule for your vehicle. Most are now 100K miles or more for a coolant flush, and the thermostat and sensor are "as needed when they fail".

Good advice on the low gas driving - keep the tank at 1/4 or more. AS for the fuel filter, again, follow the maintenance schedule. if you don;t have a maintenance book in your owner's manual packet, you can download one from http://www.mbusa.com - Owner's Section.

Again, check you car's maintenance schedule.

Yep, that's one of the items in the "B" service. I have been surprised that our MY2002 C240 flex discs still look like new - no cracks or signs of wear at all.

humm... I think MOOG is made in china but designed in the USA, just made in china to reduce cost, I'll check on that...I hope I'm right because I just bought all sway bar links for my wife's Honda Cr-v. And Dorman, it is a Chinese brand but they are well made, I had good experiences with this brand. Lemfoerder, I don't know the brand but ill do some research.

I used to work at an auto parts and got my ASE cert there and most customers get confused about OEM...remember OEM is designed by their engineers to last the manufacturers warranty to be able to sell these reproduction licenses to after market manufacturers. The really good parts the car manufacturers make is the ones they keep (dealer only parts) and that is why their cost is very high because no after market manufacturer is going to buy a license on a part that they will not be able to sell due to its high quality.

Now, Aftermarket manufacturers after buying the license to reproduce the parts, they make improvements on them...well sometimes, to be able to sell them with a "lifetime warranty" without loosing money on warranty exchanges.

Also about the car's maintenance schedule, again it is basic maintenance, but I like to go less on the time and millage suggested by the manufacturer. I want it to last longer than what they want it to last. Good trick about the "sealed transmission"... that's a $7k timing bomb they don't want you to see.

about the flex disc they may look good but you have to inspect them well, here's a video that shows how to inspect them:

Old 01-20-2016, 09:58 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Lemfoerder is a German brand and they make the genuine MBZ branded parts. Asian and American make car parts are bit different than the Germans. In Grmany, there is a lot of parts and technology sharing. MBZ will create a new technology (such as ABS), then license it to an OEM (say Bosch, for example) to make the parts for them. Bosch guarantees quality adn price to meet MBZ's requirements and in exchange, they get to share that technology with other auto maker.

Nice video on the flex discs! Like I said, the C240's are in near new, perfect condition. Note that the the W203's are pretty well protected by under body shields. Other than air, they just aren't exposed to the environment which really helps with longevity.