CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Station wagons and the whole SUV thing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Station wagons and the whole SUV thing

I kinda don't get the SUV thing. You know in between my wife's Volvo 940 station wagon and her current E320 wagon, we owned a Dodge Durango for 13 uninspiring months. I think it is ironic that the SUV's appear to be morphing into station wagons (a la Pacifica, FX45 & RX330). My wife's E320 seats 7, gets 19 in the city and 29 on the highway and still does zero to sixty in 7.5 seconds--not 5.7 seconds like my CLK 500, but quite credible.

Attached is the link to Autoweek's review of the new E320/E500 wagon.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=05875869

Last edited by Michael T; 05-05-2003 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not sure exactly what your getting at here...but I think I agree with you. Our new Volvo V70 T5 Wagon will be arriving withing the next few weeks (this will be our 4th Volvo wagon) and I dont see why everyone goes for the SUV's. Similar to the MB Wagon, the V70 gets pretty good mileage (havent checked the specs, but its better then any SUV) has a 247HP turbocharged engine and is pretty quick.

In addition, I just dont like the look of that many SUV's (besides the G and the FX) and I feel as if the money is more well spent on a Volvo, you can get all wheel drive and the rollover issue is not as prevalent on wagons as they are on SUV's.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by Turbo2
(besides the G and the FX) .
I don`t know how do you like the design of (G) .I don`t find anything that i can like in the (G ). i think the best looking suv is the rangrover then the BMW X5.
(sorry i know i am out of subject but i want to know what do you like in the (G))
Old 05-04-2003, 05:04 PM

Alright...I don't think I explained myself properly, I guess the reason why I "like" the G-Wagen is because it is so different, very boxy and just not something that you would expect to be produced in 2003. I think its the shear fact that it's so expensive but really isnt that attractive looking, but its off-road abilities are amazing. I think my definition of "like" for the G-class is kind of an oxymoron, understand what Im saying? It's appealing, but not for the normal reasons other cars are.

I like the Range Rover as well, Im just not sure about their reliability. I can't really say Im a big fan of the X5 though.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:43 PM
CRB

Alas, Americans in general have a psychological defect that makes them see a wagon as a mommy-mobile with a status slightly below that of a minivan. I guess it stems from interminable car trips taken during childhood that left an indelible scar.

Personally, I love wagons for thier car-like dynamics, practical load-carrying capacity and, believe it or not, superior beauty. Wagons just make sense, IMO.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:50 PM

CRB-
I couldnt agree with you more...I think that wagons are much better looking then their minivan counterparts.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:12 PM
gab

The new trend is "Car-based SUV" supported by the import brands and sales growth of the "Truck-based SUV" supported by domestic is slowing
Old 05-07-2003, 01:23 AM

Perhaps not a topic for the 209 forum, but why not.

In Europe (Germany at least), a Merc/BMW/Audi wagon with a big engine is one of the hottest car you can have. You communicate that you are an active person needing space for you gear (windsurfer, skis, bikes, etc), and you like to get to your action fast on the autobahn. In many peoples view, a wagon has a much cooler image than its 4-door counterpart. Pretty much like an SUV/truck here, but you can drive fast, and who goes off-road anyway ??

Having said that, my wife has an ML. If we didn’t need a vehicle that could also tow the powerboat, I would definitely buy a wagon instead. One other benefit with the SUV is that its easier to buckle up the kids, but that’s about it.

Cheers