CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Paint job on the new CLK's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK320, Sliver, Ash Leather, Command System, Xeon lights, K3, K4
Thumbs down Paint job on the new CLK's

I bought my clk320 coupe in Aug, (fist ones to own it ) But I think the paint quality on it SUCKS. I barely drive my car b/c I'm gone for work traveling...and there are paint chips on the hood and side fenders!! Now I known people with mb's and they don't have any, and my Acura Legend sedan that I think sits lower then the clk has no chip marks and I've had that for 8 yrs!

any thoughts?
Old 05-07-2003, 07:45 PM
Banned

2004 C32 AMG
Rocks....it's called Rocks....

The paint quality has nothing to do with how many chips you have on your car. If you drive too close to trucks or higher vehicles, you're gonna get it, no doubt. Paint on a car will come off if you hit it with a hard object. Acura doesn't make some type of invinsible metal paint that is chip proof, it's just that nothing hit that car.

Like posts earlier, I think this is the W209 complaint board. We need posts with positive comments. This W209 forum isn't the COMPLAINT FAIRY, magically complain, and it all gets better.

I have a few chips on the front of my car....not MB's fault, not the paint quality, not magical super titanium rocks, MY FAULT!

Sean
Old 05-07-2003, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well said SJT.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I disagree. Paint on newer Mercedes is very soft. When a rock or debris hits the paint at freeway speeds, it is likely that a chip will happen. This is a sign of the times with our environmentally friendly water based paint. The downside to saving the environment is that the paint is softer.

This is also a common complaint from many Mercedes owners.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:39 PM

It's the paint

It's definitely the paint. MB cars use water-base paint, which is environment friendly but very soft. It is a well known issues and many threads in the mbworld.org forum had discussions on it.

I have noticed that there are far more chips on my SLK and CLK than other cars that I had before.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:07 PM
Banned

2004 C32 AMG
STILL,

Bottom line is....don't get in front of or close to trucks and higher cars. I don't care about thinkness of paint, purity of paint, it's getting in front of cars/trucks that does it.

NO MATTER WHAT.

Sean
Old 05-07-2003, 09:46 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
My 2003 CLK 500, 2400 miles, two 1 hour trips on the interstate and 3 chips

My girlfriends 2002 Honda Accord Coupe 10240 miles and always on the interstate 0 chips.

My 99, 00 and 01 CLK 430's chipped very easily too.

This is not meant to be the "Complaint Dept" but the info provided in the "complaints" you refer to help other owners that may have the same problem or will in the future know that they are not alone and also can provide fixes for the problem where applicable.

I don't enjoy typing, but I do hope others out there appreciate the time, effort and information some of us provide on this board to help each other solve some of the issues they may be having with their cars. This can also make trips to the service dept much more enjoyable especially if you run into a service writter that is not familiar with the problem you may be having or if he/she gives you the "they all do that " routine.

If your car is perfect be happy and wish the ones that are having problems well and try to provide any helpful info you can.

Last edited by RJC; 05-07-2003 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I disagree. Paint on newer Mercedes is very soft...This is a sign of the times with our environmentally friendly water based paint.
Isn't water based paint required now by the EPA? The chips I have seen on MBs are on par with other new cars that were similarly driven (unfair to compare a mostly highway car to a "in-town/hardly over 45 mph" car).
Old 05-07-2003, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK500, 04 X3, No 07 GT3RS :(
Thumbs down

I've had mine for 6 months and already have more chips than I recall having with previous cars, and my driving style has gotten considerably less aggressive over the same period of time. How long have you guys had your cars?
Old 05-08-2003, 02:25 AM

CLK 320 Avantgarde
It is MB fault, they are cutting costs

They should give an option for thicker paint, all MBs are suffering from this. If you don't have many yet, then wait and then you'll start moaning, especially what you paid for such a quality car. Better still if you don't treat it within a few days it will rust. What sort of bodywork protection is that, my other five cars, have hardly any chips and no rust. MB please make your paint stronger. Even the dealers complian, and they says it is definetely an issue of the paint being too thin.

It has been water based for more than a few years now.

N
Old 05-08-2003, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thinner paint may be a possibility. My experience with many newer cars (2000 or so on) is that they tend to chip easier than older cars. Maybe it's just the area I live in... Another issue is how low to the ground your car sits and the design of the front end. The new CLK has what seemed to be a more sloped hood than before...meaning the rocks have an easier time making it up onto the hood at an angle that will surely cause a chip. You generally see fewer chips on say a boxy SUV that is higher up or even a larger car where the rock has a harder time hitting the hood. Of course I'm talking about rocks being kicked up...if you drive behind a salt drunk then you'll be in trouble anyway.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:46 PM

2003 CLK320, Sliver, Ash Leather, Command System, Xeon lights, K3, K4
Cool People...people

Those people who think MB's are the greatest and have no flaws, "Wake up and smell the coffee!"

A) It's not my driving style.
B) I don't drive close to trucks.
C) My Acura might just have a better paint job then my new CLK

I post this as not a complaint, but to see if anyone else has the same issues to be consistant. This has been very helpful to hear from others.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:50 AM

Agree with CLK2K3

I always keep a pretty good distance from cars/trucks in front of my. Yet, I still get quite a few chips. I used to drive pretty aggressively several years ago on a 300ZX. I don't recall having any significant amount of chips.

Just to give you another perspective on MB's paint job, in 1999, I bought a brand new SLK. After I took it home, I carefully inspected the body and paint. I found an area that the paint was a little rough. When I looked closely, it was a fingerprint imprinted onto the paint.

Don't get me wrong. I love MB cars but I expect the quality to be much higher.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Those people who think MB's are the greatest and have no flaws, "Wake up and smell the coffee!"
MB's are not the greatest...far from it actually. That's why this is my first...but they are very fine cars. I don't expect them to be bulletproof (unless I bought that bulletproof S class ), but people also need to be aware of the many variables that can affect chips. It is not always just the quality of paint. The simple design of the car is a huge factor as well. That's all I was trying to say.

The major difference now from before is the use of water based paints...it's unfair to compare the older car to the new one.