CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My car has the clunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2011 | 04:49 PM

CLK500
My car has the clunk

I don't know where to even start. It kinda sounds like a strut issue, but I don't want to start replacing parts if someone out there has had the same issue. When I'm driving less than 40mph it is very noticeable. It only does it over bumps and every little bump brings it out. It's on the front passenger side. I got under it and everything (end links, sway bar, brake line brackets, sway bar bushings) seemed tight and snugg. Any help would be great guys.
Old 03-28-2011 | 05:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
I had a similar issue a while back. Turned out to be the upper strut mounts.
Old 03-28-2011 | 05:26 PM

I drive the racism out of BadDebt. ;)
Check your front thrust bushings...theres 4 of them. When theres a tear in the bushing itself, the steering wheel shakes and a clunk can be heard everytime you aproach a bump.
Old 03-28-2011 | 07:43 PM

CLK500
Thanks guys!
Old 03-28-2011 | 10:16 PM

CLK 500
i have the same problem took it to the dealer they replaced the control arm bushings and one control arm apparently it was bent...when i got the car back it seemed to be perfect but a few hrs later the noises started. clunking and suspension noises at low mph and over bumps and braking. Im not sure what it is but I am waiting to install some springs and struts and put my new wheels on and see what happends.
Old 03-29-2011 | 05:00 PM

CLK500
Originally Posted by grmnpwrd
i have the same problem took it to the dealer they replaced the control arm bushings and one control arm apparently it was bent...when i got the car back it seemed to be perfect but a few hrs later the noises started. clunking and suspension noises at low mph and over bumps and braking. Im not sure what it is but I am waiting to install some springs and struts and put my new wheels on and see what happends.
Thanks, I am waiting to find a good suspension upgrade. I'll probably replace just about everything anyways. It's crazy how many of these cars are out there and no one makes thing for them. I came from the GTO world and there were several members who fabbed custom stuff. (coil over kits, control arms, drive train parts, custom cams)

It all costs the same to manufacture, why the price hike???