CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Do me a favor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500
Do me a favor?

I posted yesterday about the ability to check the amount of oil you have in your engine through the control pannel.... thanks KLINH.

Before changing the oil I checked to see that the oil level was "OK" in the norimal manner and then checking the level using the write-up KLINH gave. It read 6.8 quarts.

I extracted the oil which was just a little shy of two measured gallons (8 quarts) and changed the filter. While adding oil I had the oil quart read out running. With each can of oil added the number of quarts increased. I added up to 7.6 quarts (capacity in book states 8 quarts) and then took the car for a ride. After the car sat for several minutes I checked the oil level and it read "OK" and then slowly added the rest of the oil. At the end, the normal oil read was "OK" and the number of quarts read out was 6.9 quarts. After sitting over night it read 7.5 quarts and "OK" oil level. Thus, I am assuming that the .5 quart difference and the reason the extraction was a little short is due to the oil filter and engine areas that just don't drain.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to see if there read outs are consistent with mine. I have a 2004 CLK 500 and would appreciate some read outs from the same car or the same engine (as I know that each engine has a different oil capacity). The way to check it again is provided below and should work with all CLKs at least 2004 or newer.... thanks!

CHECK OIL LEVEL:
With the display in the "default" normal driving position, (this should be speed or temperature).
1) Put the key in the ignition
2) Turn the key on to ignition position (1 click only)
3) Within 3 second after the ignition is turned on to position 1, push the "reset" *** 3 times. A display Voltages manual should appear on your cluster.
4) Now use the arrow up/down command key on your steering wheel to change the screen manual on your cluster until you see oil level "_/_" on your screen.
5) Now turn the ignition key to position 2 (2nd clicks)
6) The oil level "_/_" will appear within a few seconds with volume of oil in numbers (mine is in quarts but I am sure others maybe liters based on readout selection).
Old 04-12-2011, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
mmm i got that too with mine.

the 320 requires 8.5 quarts.
i put 8.5 in, measure on board computer, reads 8.5
start car, let it run for 5 min. measure on board computer 8quarts
im sure its cuz some cycles in the engine and some in the filter.

my question is, should i put 9 quarts knowingly that when the car runs, it will read out 8.5 or do i put 8.5?

sorry for the thread jack btw