CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

SRS Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK500
SRS Light

Last night I parked the car, got out, got back in and the SRS light came on. A message appeared saying "Restraint System Defective" and that I should visit the dealership, but didn't specify anything else about the malfunction.

I started looking under the seats to see if any wiring has been damaged and noticed a yellow connector on the passenger side that had electrical tape on it. The wire from the seatbelt connection had been spliced onto the wire from the yellow connector. There was no passenger in the car when I drove it. Could that wiring have caused the SRS light to go on?

I haven't contacted the dealership yet. They'll probably want me to sacrifice a virgin as payment for fixing a problem. How much does it cost to have the error codes read? What could typically go wrong? How can I diagnose it myself. Can I reset the error code without any fancy equipment?

Edit: I have just read somewhere online that if it's a broken seatbelt connector you will not get a "no seatbelt" warning beep if you drive above 6 mph. I just drove 30 mph down the road and I got NO warning about the seatbelt not being fastened. Can it be just a faulty seatbelt connector? Where do I purchase the buckle to replace the faulty one?

Last edited by clkmb; 06-19-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:21 PM

2015 E400 CAB, 2010 Jeep Compass, 2009 E350 Sedan
It could be alot diffrent issues with the SRS seat belt airbags ect ect. I am not totaly sure that you can not reset it yourself. Its related to the safety system of your car. Drop by the dealership the just might run a diagnostic for free it's a saftey issue.

Louie
"who hates going to the delarship"
Old 06-20-2011, 01:05 AM

03 clk500, 06 qx56
yeah drop it off to dealership to see what the message is. it could be airbag, but i've had it go on for the passenger side seatbelt. it goes on at times, and when i got it diagnosed, it was the sensor for the seatbelt to shoot out...