CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Sunroof binding and clicking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
Sunroof binding and clicking

I went to close the sunroof the other night on my '06 CLK 500 and it got jammed about half way. It was popping and clicking and seemed to be in a bind. I worked it completely closed finally. I looked at it today and think I may know what the problem is. When I attempt to open it I have to keep pressing the button over and over and over because it senses a bind. I could only get it slide back about 3-4 inches. It was enough for me to see some cables along the track. It seems they are getting bound up or something. I have never had any issues with a sunroof before so I'm not sure what to look for. I want to avoid taking it into the dealership because I am very mechanically inclined and have the tools and ability to fix it myself. Does anyone have any experience with this or a write up on this issue? Any pics would be awesome. I'm wondering how much disassembly is going to be necessary. Thanks for any and all help!!
Old 10-24-2011, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
Hey guys. I'm still trying to find a write up on the disassembly. I took the glass off and apparently the cables have worn through their tracks. When it gets to a certain point the pop out in get tangled up in everything. Any help would be great!