CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 320 Sometimes Won't Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2012 | 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rudeney
Where did you guys buy the CPS - is it a genuine MBZ part or something from eBay? Also, what was the specific error code(s) that you pulled from the ECU? As for manually rotating the engine to check the CPS, I doubt that will work because if the ECU doesn't think the engine is running, it won't supply voltage to the CPS circuit. I am not sure about the "immobilizer is active" message. I think that is normal when the engine is not running.
I finally got my problem fix...My car starts now, and i fall in love with it all over again...
First of all, you were right about the immobilizer, it is normal when the engine is not running...
What happen with my car was, at first i did have a legit CPS error, and in other mercedes just by changing the sensor it should have work...But in my car the Crank sensor got stuck...and it broke as we tried to removed it...Apparently when the sensor stays there for long it can happen...i found a mechanics full of experience that told me he had to deal with these problems before...
So the first guy i hired to remove the broken CPS sensor had to break the sensor out...but in doing so he broke my flywheel as well without realising it...As soon as i told that the mechanic, that we manually spin the engine and read 0 RPM off MB Star, he knew right away what the problem was... (Amazing considering the the 2 MB dealers i went had like no idea...)

He explained me how the CPS circuit work, and we both got it wrong lol...The car stays in immobilizer as soon as the key is removed of the EIS module...when the key is putted back in the module, the module check the signal sent from the key and send it to the ECU. if it's the correct signal, then it powers the CPS circuit, start cranking...(the flywheel has to do a full 360 rotation, and the sensor counts how many holes there is in the flywheel)...if the count from the sensor doesnt match what the ECU has in it's memory, then the ECU stays in immobilizer...so the CPS sensor is not responsible to provide the RPM data of your car...however because it does a revolution when it tries to start then one way you can troubleshoot what the problem was is using the sensor to measure how fast it rotates...

When you take a look at what my flywheel looked like after he removed it...you'll get why my car would never start for 4 weeks...
Attached Thumbnails CLK 320 Sometimes Won't Start-20121115_181257.jpg  
Old 11-27-2012 | 10:24 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I'm glad you got is fixed! What a job that must have been to repair, just from a simple problem of dropping part of the CPS into the flywheel.
Old 02-01-2024 | 12:02 PM

1999 Mercedes CLK320 Cb
Originally Posted by ZappaF15E
I have a 2000 CLK 320 that will sometimes start and sometimes will not start. Seems after the car is warm and you turn it off, it will not start up again. The motor cranks but will not fire up. Leave it over night and it starts right back up again. Could go a couple of days and the samething happens again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
My 1999 CLK320 did the same thing intermitently. I took it to my mechanic and luckily it failed for him long enough for him to determine if was a bad crank shaft position sensor.. Replaced it and all good since.
Old 09-15-2024 | 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ZappaF15E
I have a 2000 CLK 320 that will sometimes start and sometimes will not start. Seems after the car is warm and you turn it off, it will not start up again. The motor cranks but will not fire up. Leave it over night and it starts right back up again. Could go a couple of days and the samething happens again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
did you ever get this resolved, if so what was the issue?
Old 09-15-2024 | 05:20 PM

1999 Mercedes CLK320 Cb
2000 CLK320 intermitently won't start

Yes I did. The problem was highly intermittent but eventually I took it into our local mechani He initially couldn't identify the problem either. It was when they tried to start the car to back it out of there garage that it failed. They immediately installed their diagnostic tool which showed it was the "crankcase position" sensor was defective. They replaced the sensor and the problem never happened again. I hope this helps to resolve your problem..

Regards
Klaas Hiemstra