CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Water in 2007 CLK 550 Fog Lights - A fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 CLK 550
Water in 2007 CLK 550 Fog Lights - A fix

Both fog lights had 3/8" of H20 in the light assembly - nothing good would come of that. Here is the fix:

1) need to remove the front tire to give access to splash panel bolts (3) in the wheel well area
2) remove bolts and slide splash panel assembly out of the way so you can access the fog light assembly from underneath
3) fog light assembly held in place by four torx (T15) screws. Not a lot of room, needed a socket torx to make it work. screws spin with fingers once started.
4) Disconnect electrical connector to fog light
5) From front of car - remove three torx screws (T15) holding the fog light grill in place and then remove grill
6) Rotate light assembly 90 degrees and pull out the front
7) twist bulb connector assembly and pull out of lens assembly. pull bulb (pry with screwdriver out of plastic connector) blow dry all with compressed air
8) rinse inside of glass assembly real well and dry inside with piece of a lint free towel. I let mine sit overnight to get really dry.
9) repeat steps in reverse order to reassemble. do not touch the bulb with your bare fingers.

Note: The assembly design has a small rubber vent behind that points down. Mine got water due to a heavy rain and I suspect it flooded the tube enough to allow water into the assembly. In normal wet conditions it works fine, if submerged it lets water into the assembly. If you look at the top of the reflector you can see the vent hole and the rubber vent tube behind.

Difficulty rating: Easy
Old 10-14-2011, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by obenourb
Both fog lights had 3/8" of H20 in the light assembly - nothing good would come of that. Here is the fix:

1) need to remove the front tire to give access to splash panel bolts (3) in the wheel well area
2) remove bolts and slide splash panel assembly out of the way so you can access the fog light assembly from underneath
3) fog light assembly held in place by four torx (T15) screws. Not a lot of room, needed a socket torx to make it work. screws spin with fingers once started.
4) Disconnect electrical connector to fog light
5) From front of car - remove three torx screws (T15) holding the fog light grill in place and then remove grill
6) Rotate light assembly 90 degrees and pull out the front
7) twist bulb connector assembly and pull out of lens assembly. pull bulb (pry with screwdriver out of plastic connector) blow dry all with compressed air
8) rinse inside of glass assembly real well and dry inside with piece of a lint free towel. I let mine sit overnight to get really dry.
9) repeat steps in reverse order to reassemble. do not touch the bulb with your bare fingers.

Note: The assembly design has a small rubber vent behind that points down. Mine got water due to a heavy rain and I suspect it flooded the tube enough to allow water into the assembly. In normal wet conditions it works fine, if submerged it lets water into the assembly. If you look at the top of the reflector you can see the vent hole and the rubber vent tube behind.

Difficulty rating: Easy

I didn't have to remove the wheel at all. I just remove the little opening under the bumper to access to the 4 torx bolts. Did Mercedes changed the fender liner on Clk550? Mine is 2006 with the same AMG undated bumper.

When I put the foglight back, I screw the 4 torx from the front instead of the back, so next time if I ever need to replace the bulbs...etc. I can just remove the foglight cover and remove the foglight housing without jack up the car, remove the wheel, remove the fender liner/plash gaurd.