CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2009 CLK 550 versioncoded:xenon present

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CLK550 coupe
2009 CLK 550 versioncoded:xenon present

Guys,
I bought a brand new set of bixenon headlights and went to an Indie shop to have them installed on my 2009 CLK550. The shop is equipped with MB StarDiagnostic...
Long story short, the install went smooth but after hours of attempting to have car computer versioncoded, the shop called and informed there was no such feature in my car's computer. As for possible flickering, just leave the lighting knob in AUTO then I should be fine. But if I moved the lighting knob manually, potential fickering may occur. I drove the car for 15 minutes and the headlights did not flicker. But the possibility of that happening is worrying me.
From what I read here and for those who needed their computer versionedcoded, I don't believe anyone said there was no such option in the computer.
Is it possible my car computer might not be versioncoded?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:31 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I suspect the shop doesn't know how to do this properly and in fact I think they don't even understand the issue at all. There is no difference in auto vs. manual mode with respect to possible HID flicker. What causes the flicker is the circuit that reports bad bulbs. When it sees the lower load of the HID's, it assume the halogen bulb is bad so it gives you a warning, and then shuts down the circuit, but this still provides a small amount of voltage, which is just enough to almost start the HID's, thus you get flicker.

I think they are confusing turning off the DRL's function. Without access to SDS< some people install resistors that fool the vehicle into thinking it has regular load halogen bulbs, but then using the DRL's' will provide lower power to the low-beams which can also cause HID flicker. Of course with the vehicle properly coded for HID's, if you enable DRL's, it provides full power to the low-beam circuit.

The setting is in the "EZS" module:

Control Unit Groups > Body > EZS - Electronic Ignition Switch > Control Unit Adaptations > Read Coding and Change if Necessary > Headlamp Range Adjustment > Xenon Headlamp = PRESENT
Old 02-11-2012, 09:14 AM

2009 CLK550 coupe
Thanks for the detailed explanation!!!!!!
I will print and take this with me when I go back to the shop.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:08 PM

2009 CLK550 coupe
With instruction in hand I went back to the shop. Turns out he never thought "xenon" was in EZS module. I guess MB models have various cpu setup. All is good now. Owner of the shop is a true gentleman. I may ask them to help me with a quads exhaust next.
Thanks again Rodney!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:59 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
You're welcome! Older models used the AAM (all-Activity Module) for optional settings like this. EZS is sort of a catch-all for that now.