CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Wheel fell off while driving (pictures included)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 500
Wheel came off

Originally Posted by C-A-T-S
Just wanted to post up am experience I had. Wednesday of last week my trophy grade fiancé called me crying around 8AM. She told me that as she was pulling up to work one of her tires fell off. I went to meet her and had her send me a few pictures so I would know what I was getting into. Here are the pictures she sent:
Attachment 409335
Attachment 409336

As I was backing out of the driveway I noticed two of her lug nuts laying in the street which I picked up and took with me. At this point I was thinking either they weren't put in tight enough by the tire shop, someone tried to steal the wheels, or someone had purposely loosened the nuts with malicious intent.

When I arrive I jacked the car up and decided that I would remove one lug nut from two other wheels and take the car to the dealership with three wheels being short one lug nut. When I pulled the lug nuts from my pocket I noticed that they were short; maybe only enough room to get 4-5 turns. I checked out the hub, and sure enough all five had snapped off inside the hub.

Of course we had to call a tow truck and have it taken to our Indy. Ended up costing about $700. The bill isn't itemized, but I'm sure it includes towing, new lug nuts, a new hub, an alignment, and of course labor. If anyone wants to weigh in on this I would appreciate it.

A few more pictures:
Attachment 409337
Attachment 409338

So I have been in Vegas the last week so this is my first chance to post. The mechanic told my fiancé that this was not her fault and is not out of the ordinary for this car.; I can't imagine that is true. He said that another girl was in the shop with the same issue a few weeks back.

My thoughts; the tires shop either over or under tightened the lug nuts when they put the tires on a few months back, or my fiancé does a little too much feeling with her wheels when she is parking (see second picture) and the added stress broke the lug nuts.

My questions:
1. Is this common?
2. Why do you think this happened?

As always I appreciate anyone who took the time to read this or offer a response.
ALMOST SAME STORY...all 5 lug studs broke. Got 1000 miles since Discount tires put 2 new wheels and a tire on. $1700 repair bill was covered by them. Whole store had to be recertified. I do not allow any impact wrench to be used now on my 2006 CLS 500. Hand tighten only with torque wrench. They were about 25 ft lbs too tight.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
1985(W126)500SE, 1994(W124)E420 1991(R129)500SL and The Mothership 2009 CLK550

Last edited by Merc Mania; 06-18-2019 at 01:38 AM.