CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Cigarette Lighter Weird Problem

Old 05-20-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cigarette Lighter Weird Problem

2005 CLK500, I removed the dash and there was two wires that had a small black connector on it that came from the cigarette lighter. I spliced and soldered a cigarette lighter that I got from Autozone, into this I plugged a bluetooth receiver and wired it to the Aux Input. I had it all tucked away neatly beside the shifter and it worked perfectly. Everything was fine until recently when I turn the car on it powers up and connects however about 1 minute it disconnects and powers off. This does not happen every time but about 95% of the time.

I opened everything back up and even tried another bluetooth receiver just to eliminate the receiver but the same thing.

THe only other thing that I have recently done to the car is installed the SmartTop module for opening and closing the top automatically, but I don't see how the two are related.

Does anyone know if there is a relay that runs the cigarette circuit, or have something for me to track down what could be causing that circuit to power down. Also as an interesting point the rear cigarette lighter always has power.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:39 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
My guess is that it's a loose connection. I also have a SmartTop and I tapped into my cigarette lighter to wire in my radar detector, and I have no issues.