CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Convertible Top Locking Mechanism

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
Convertible Top Locking Mechanism

Hey everyone,

I drive a CLK320 and I was in rush this morning and it looked like rain, so I tried closing the top at a red light. Before the top was entirely shut, a drove a few yards and wanted to finish closing it, which didn't work. It seemed like the only problem was the locking mechanism in the trunk, so I locked it manually by pushing it down.

However, it did not lock entirely into place (there remained a gap) and wouldn't open either.

I already tried raising and lowering the rear headrests and while it locked the top a little more, it still won't open. When I turned the lever in the front 90 degrees, the windows went all the way down, but the button to open the top remained unreactive.

I tried searching for old threads but did not find a solution, maybe I just searched for the wrong keywords or simply missed it.

Any advice?
Old 05-25-2012, 07:57 PM

2004 W209 CLK500 Convertible
I did the same thing once. However, my root cause was the pump failed costing me $2400 from the local Penske dealer . My lesson was never raise or lower the top while moving.

The new 6 series can do it up to 20 MPH
Old 05-25-2012, 10:49 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
It sounds like one of the sensors has gotten out of sync. You need to follow the manual closing instructions in the owner's manual. Manually closing the rear cover takes some effort, but you also have to release the hydraulic pump to keep from damaging it.

As for closing while moving, I installed the SmartTop so I can open and close mine with one touch of the button at up to 25mph. It's the best mod I've ever had on any car.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:08 AM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by mrtremere
I did the same thing once. However, my root cause was the pump failed costing me $2400 from the local Penske dealer . My lesson was never raise or lower the top while moving.

The new 6 series can do it up to 20 MPH
Thanks for the input. Gladly I was able to fix the problem manually and the pump seems to be working fine.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 AM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by Rudeney
It sounds like one of the sensors has gotten out of sync. You need to follow the manual closing instructions in the owner's manual. Manually closing the rear cover takes some effort, but you also have to release the hydraulic pump to keep from damaging it.

As for closing while moving, I installed the SmartTop so I can open and close mine with one touch of the button at up to 25mph. It's the best mod I've ever had on any car.
Yeah, it was the sensor. I was able to manually close it with the respective screws. Apparently there is a special tool needed that was supposed to come with the car but I couldn't find it, so we improvised.

Thanks for the SmartTop link. For some reason the operations manual doesn't open for me and I was wondering how you open the top with your regular remote. Do you basically press in codes?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:00 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
There are infrared sensors on the door handles. Point your key fob at the sensor (within 5 feet), then press and hold the fob's lock button to close, or unlock button to open. Note that the IR sensors are prone to failure due to the harsh environment of the exterior of the automobile. That's one of the nice features of the SmartTop - it uses the RF function, so no line-of-sight issues.