CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Needing help installing satellite radio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 clk500
Needing help installing satellite radio?

I would like to know if there is a diy in taking the radio console apart to install my satellite radio in my 04 designo clk500 and taking the radio out to connect the antenna and hardwired to a power source(cig lighter)?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:52 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yeah, there's one around here somewhere. I tried a quick search and didn't locate it, but I know it's here, with photos. I'm too lazy to post photos, but I can give you a narrative. One tool you must have is a plastic wedge trim tool. otherwise, you risk scratching up your trim. Also, SO NOT turn on the ignition with ANY of these parts disconnected, lest you cause an SRS error (mainly by having the upper panel with it's passenger airbag indicator disconnected).

Here's the order of removal:

1. Gearshift chrome trim
2. Center console top panel
3. Ashtray
4. Climate control panel
5. Upper panel (hazard light switch panel)
6. Radio

1. Remove the chrome gearshift surround by prying up on the rear edge first. Be careful, it has plastic clips that easily break. Once it's free of the console top panel, detach its two wiring connectors (they just pull out) and you can either leave it attached to the shifter knob, or remove it altogether. If you want to remove it, pull it all the way up, inverting the leather bag so you can access the plastic lock ring under the knob, and turn it (clockwise?) to release and and push it down the shaft. The shift knob and leather bag comes off the shaft with a firm tug. Alternatively, you can leave all of this in place, and just manipulate the chrome trim sideways through the opening when you remove the console top panel.

2. The console top panel is held in place by spring clips. Open the ashtray and pull up firmly on the exposed front edge to remove it. If you didn't remove the shifter surround, maneuver it through the opening to totally remove the panel. Cabriolet models and those with distronic will have wiring harnesses that must be disconnected.

3. To remove the ashtray, you will see two plastic vertical lock tabs on each side of its rear edge, right under where the console top panel was sitting. Pry the tabs to release the ashtray. Disconnect its wiring harnesses and then remove it. The cigarette lighter wiring makes a good place to tap into a a switched 12V supply.

4. With the ashtray removed, you will see two screws holding the climate control panel in place. Remove them, then remove that panel, disconnecting its wiring harnesses.

5. The upper panel is held in place by several very strong spring clips. The easiest place to pry is behind it's edge after opening the dash cupholder/cubby. It can be very difficult to snap free. Just pull firmly. Disconnect its wiring harnesses and remove it. Again, this panel contains an SRS indicator, so if it is not installed and connected, and the ignition is switched on, you will get an SRS warning and it will require SDS or a proper tool to clear the error. You have been warned!

6. Now you should see the four screws holding the radio into the dash.

Here are some other tips. If you need a place to install small behind-the-scenes electronic components like iPod interfaces or satellite tuners, these can go under the passenger foot well. Pull back the carpet from under the dash and remove the foam panel and you'll see a metal frame that already has some electronics there (like the TCU). There is easy wiring access from there up into the area behind the radio.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 clk500
Thank you!!! I need this!!