CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Leather Steering Wheel Refurbishment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS550
Leather Steering Wheel Refurbishment

This is a for a 2005 CLK320 cabriolet with a light beige interior.

Well, I bought this car used and it still does not have high miles (about 72K) for a 7 year old car. The issue is that the original owner was too cheap to order the wood steering wheel, or preferred leather... whatever.

This car has zero sporting pretensions and its just a cruiser. The issue is that the light colored steering wheel looks positively ghetto, presumably from the sweat accumulated on the leather over the years. The leather has worn off and it looks hideous. If it were a black steering wheel, then it would actually look good like a suede wheel in a race car, especially if it were a 500 model. But this is a 320 model and the rest of the light interior is as pristine and gorgeous as can be.

I have two options: (1) buy a new steering wheel or (2) somehow "refurbish" the leather on the wheel.

The thought of spending >$1300 that my dealer wants to install a new wood steering wheel nauseates me. This is a dumb cosmetics issue.

I looked at the stitching of the leather steering wheel. There is no way I would be good enough to unstitch and restitch new leather. I'm not that good.

Thankfully my other CLK has a wood steering wheel, and the other one on the way is a 63, so the leather is different and it'll have no such issue.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive the racism out of BadDebt. ;)
go to a shop and get it re-wrapped...~500 or so.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS550
Thank you very much

I wasn't aware there are shops that would do that.