CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Attn: CLK 550 kleemann header owners

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Rudeney,
Just as clarification for a novice; The ECU programming negates/shields any O2 errors from the OBDII. If this is just for the emissions related stuff across the operating range, I have little concern. Since the emissions tests here also use the probe in the tailpipe, I am not concern that I'm destroying the planet. At least not during normal driving (WOT may be a differnt story).

If this "fake out" is shielding other things that could warn me that the engine is on the verge of exploding, I will have a concern (though not enough to remove it). Would just like to know what those unannounced dangers could be so I can try to ensure those possible problems are checked for during maintenance.

The car really runs extremely well, and is responsive from 0 to XXX. I wouldn't have the strength to take it back to stock....
Old 09-17-2012, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 CLK 550
Fatz,

Thanks for the pics. Do you remember the header installer mentioning anything about modifying anything to get those to fit? Which vendor did you purchase from? And lastly, have you dynoed it yet (numbers)?

Thanks,
Kyle.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The work was done by Mercedes of Buckhead in Atlanta. Kevin is the manager of the performance department/team, Ken and Rafael are the techs who do the work and the testing. We did not discuss any special fitment requirements to install the headers.

I had them do the H&R springs at the same time of the ECU and Header upgrade (3 yrs ago). They installed the Quaife differntial about 1.5 years ago.

I have not had a dyno on the car. Maybe this winter or the spring of next year. I may make one last performance related mod in the exhaust.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:01 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by Fatz
Rudeney,
Just as clarification for a novice; The ECU programming negates/shields any O2 errors from the OBDII. If this is just for the emissions related stuff across the operating range, I have little concern. Since the emissions tests here also use the probe in the tailpipe, I am not concern that I'm destroying the planet. At least not during normal driving (WOT may be a differnt story).

If this "fake out" is shielding other things that could warn me that the engine is on the verge of exploding, I will have a concern (though not enough to remove it). Would just like to know what those unannounced dangers could be so I can try to ensure those possible problems are checked for during maintenance.

The car really runs extremely well, and is responsive from 0 to XXX. I wouldn't have the strength to take it back to stock....

I am certain the ECU tune is only dealing with the 02 sensors. In fact, it only has to spoof the readings for the downstream sensors (i.e. the ones after the cats). Removing the cats would have no effect on the readings of the upstream sensors. This shouldn't have any other effect on other engine sensors. And it's not as simple as just telling the ECU to "ignore" those sensors - it has to actually fake the readiness indicators. I'm no tree-hugger (after all, I drive a V8 Mercedes-Benz convertible), but it would always be in the back of my mind that I was driving around in a vehicle that violates Federal laws. Every time I got pulled over, I'd be afraid I'd get caught!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by klonsbury
Fatz,

Thanks for the pics. Do you remember the header installer mentioning anything about modifying anything to get those to fit? Which vendor did you purchase from? And lastly, have you dynoed it yet (numbers)?

Thanks,
Kyle.
Dyno numbers were: Power = 302.8 Torque = 333.6 torque fairly flat to 4.5k then a fairly linear slope to 250 at 6.1k.

I guess i need a turbo huh...... If I were 40, I know what my next mid-life crisis would be..

Maybe, if the price was right, I could manage one more mid-life crisis.