CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Update on Cabriolet delivery dates?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on Cabriolet delivery dates?

Hi-
I'd be interested if anybody on this forum that is on the Cabriolet waiting list at their dealer is being told when they'll get delivery yet.

I am supposedly the first on the list at my dealer in northern NJ for my 320 Cab. After half a summer of non-answers, this week the salesman finally told me the build date wouldn't be until September with delivery in October. No firm date exactly when in October, just "early October".

This seemed late to me, given that one dealer on this forum has posted pictures of his first incoming 500 Cab (which I presume is already spoken for by someone on his waiting list).

Also, my dealer admitted to me that another 320 Cab is coming in sooner than mine, possibly in the next few weeks, but he couldn't explain where it was going. He insists that no one is ahead of me on the list, but claims dealership management may be using the car for a demo. Am I being BS'ed by the salesman? Why would the dealership want to tie up capital in inventory that can be immediately sold? He seems unable to explain how other dealers around the country may be getting cars earllier than he is. Any New Jersey dealers or customers on this forum getting deliveries sooner than early October?

Thanks,
caigy
Old 07-25-2003, 12:01 PM
Almost a Member!

'02 BMW M3 convertible
Re: Update on Cabriolet delivery dates?

Originally posted by caigy
Hi- I'd be interested if anybody on this forum that is on the Cabriolet waiting list at their dealer is being told when they'll get delivery yet.
I ordered a 55 cab about a month ago, was told it will be built this month and delivered towards the end of September.
However, with the new prices announced yesterday ($80K+), I am having second thoughts about the 500 instead.
I can't answer all your other questions.

Last edited by lucycat; 07-25-2003 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:44 PM

You should be ashamed...

.how can you even think a car salesman would BS you? LOL
Old 07-25-2003, 04:49 PM

2002 CLK430 Cab
Not that I am in the know, I would speculate that they are going to give that car to someone who is willing to pay up to $5000 above sticker for it. I've seen it here in So. Cal.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:58 PM

2004 CLK Cab (soon I hope)
I would be interested in other people's information. Here is what I know. I was six on my list in Western PA when I ordered it in May (320 cab). I was initially told September but a week after I placed the order they told me November. I am now expected to get my car in February. Two people ahead of me had their names pulled. One for delivery this month and one for deliver in September.

Being skeptical of dealerships, I checked with another dealer in PA and was told I could expect one in May at the earliest. I stopped in a dealership in Southern NJ and they told me they were not being produced until October (which he was obviously wrong) and the wait is about ten months.

I seem to know more about the production than any of the salespeople I have talked to. I do know that MB expects to produce around 10,000 untis by the end of the year. I think this is a world wide figure. I also think this includes both 320 and 500 since common sense tells me it should be the same production line. The salespeople were split on their opinions on this. The same line means I am sharing the 320 list with the 500's making my wait likely longer.

I Hope this helps. I am very anxious since this will be my first MB. I always was a vette guy but I find very little desire to go fast anymore.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:39 PM

Thanks guys, for your replies- I was away for the weekend and didn't get a chance to log on until now.

I think you're probably right that the first Cab coming into my dealer must be reserved for someone willing to pay above sticker to jump ahead on the waiting list; I am not willing to pay up, especially when I was supposed to be the first on the list, anyway.

I also have noticed that the salesmen know little about the cars, their options, delivery dates, etc. This seems to be a national phenomenon, not just at my dealer. Either they view their job as "just a job" and don't make much effort, or maybe they figure that this model just sells itself and they don't have to do anything to get customers for it. Either way, it's a disheartening thing to find that I have known more about the car, available options, colors, then the guy selling me the car. And I'm not a first-time purchaser- he sold me my last MB (SLK).

caigy
Old 07-28-2003, 01:59 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK320
I think they do know the cars but are keeping you in the dark because of the old way of doing business. Pre internet, it was a pain to do your own research on the cars because of the cost and time associated. Therefore, dealers like to say nothing in order for you to buy the existing model. They believe withholding information would give them an advantage over the consumer.

With the internet, the odds swinging toward the consumers' favor and most dealers have not catch on to the fact or more likely, refused to buy into it. Most of the dealers I came across in my car shopping will pretend that they know nothing of new updates and facelifts till the offical arrival of the cars. ALL the BMW dealers refused to acknowledge the fact that the all new look for the 3 series will come in next year. They insisted that it is further down the road. Of course they know the truth but they also knbow that admitting to the fact would probably cost them the sale.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:29 AM

CLK55
my mom just picked up hers today clk320 lighting package....for sticker ..very hard to find ! i'll post pics tmw
Old 08-04-2003, 08:58 AM

When did she order it? Is it a cab?
Old 08-08-2003, 05:38 PM

All of the above
What I can tell you from the other side of the looking glass"

Hi guy's,

I'm Keil. Some on the board know me (and have bought cars from me, including 3 '03 E55s that are delivered). I work for a large volume MB dealer in PA.

I can give you some insight into the "pipeline" for these cars.

First of all, believe it that your sales people do not have concrete info regarding production schedules and expected qoutas.

When you order a '04 CLK500 cab (for example) here is what happens: A "request" is placed in the "netstar" MB database at your dealer with your name on it. MB does not tell us how many of these they will make every month or how many per month we will be allotted. Allottment varies per dealer, basically the more cars you sell the more you get. These "requests" sits in the queue untill MB schedules the next production run of CLK500 cabs (usually the next 2-3 months of production). At that point MB will pull the "requests" and schedule production dates for the next allotment for each dealer. These cars that are scheduled for production show up on the dealers VR (vehicle report) which is updated daily. From the VR a salesman can tell you, for example, "your car has just been scheduled for production in early Sept." Our current VR shows CLKcabs scheduled through September.

Real world example: We have taken a total of 18 orders for '04 CLK500 cabs. One has been delivered already (yes, an early one is on the road). Of the remaining 17, 13 are still in the queue, 4 are on the vehicle report (one is at the port in Balt., one is "on the water" and 2 are scheduled for production on Sept. All I can do is speculate on how many per month we MAY get and look into our order bank and figure: i.e. it looks like we will get 2 a month, so if I take an order today (#14 in the queue) and the next to be pulled from the queue will be October and we get 2 per month, let me see, it looks like April/ May production for your car. I think the biggest reason it seems like you are being jerked around is that (some) sales people will promise/speculate/wish and give an optomistic (unrealistic?) date to get the order and then when reality starts to show up in the order bank they have to change their tune. It is not unlike when I was a realtor ( I know, I went from bad to worse, I can't get any lower unless I become an injury lawyer) and an agent quotes a"listing price" for a house that is 5-10% over the true value, but what the seller wants to hear, with the intention of getting them to bring the price down after securing the listing. I didn't respect or employ that "strategy" as a RE/MAX agent anymore than I will now make unreasonable promises regarding delivery dates for cars.
The best an honest, well informed salesman can do is give you a reasonable speculation on production. Keep in mind this all is about a new model that we have no history of production for.

I know some of you will not believe that we don't know how many Cabs we will get over the next year but that is the fact!

As far as sales people being knowledgable about upcoming products and features. I learn more from this board and the internet about upcoming models and changes than I do from MB "corporate". I understand why they keep us in the dark. For one, they want the sales force to be focused on cars that are in inventory and not telling people to "wait for an '04 when you will be able to get NAV". I think part of it also is that we don't stick our necks out and promise things (Satellite radio anybody?) that may Or may not be coming.

Sorry for the long post but it is a subject that bears some explanation. It is frustrating for us, on this side of the looking glass, as well. I had one of my regular customers in today who is considering a CLK cab to take to Florida in January. I wish I could tell him with certainty that he can or cannot have one by then.

P.S. A tease perhaps....our second CLK320 cab....
Attached Thumbnails Update on Cabriolet delivery dates?-mvc-014f.jpg  
Old 08-08-2003, 05:41 PM

All of the above
Attached Thumbnails Update on Cabriolet delivery dates?-mvc-015f.jpg  
Old 08-09-2003, 12:02 PM

Keil:

Thanks for the info. It gives me some new insight and some confirmation on what I was guessing. My dealer in PA has only had orderes pulled every other month so far.

I do have a question on ordering. Once your order is pulled, do you have any time to change any options or is it fixed at that point?
Old 08-09-2003, 01:06 PM

All of the above
Dave,

Colors and options can be changed up to 3-4 weeks before the scheduled production date (sometimes we can make changes up to 15 days before but don't count on it, 3-4 weeks is safe). Usually when a car is scheduled for production (depending on the model) it is on the "scheduled not produced" section of the VR 2-3 months before the production date. We currently have some models on the VR out as far as November dates. When an ordered car hits the VR that is when I call my customer and tell them; "your car is scheduled to be built the first decade of October, we need to finalize colors and options by the end of August. (MB splits a month into 3-10 day periods: "decades"). So when the VR shows 10/D1/03 it is going to be built between 10/01 and 10/10.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
Keil is right on the money!!! Delivery time frames have some many varibles that it is really difficult to speculate, but at my dealership, we are getting 1 500 Cab. for 2 320 Cabs. Right now, I currently have 7 320's on our "scheduled not produced or in production" report and have 3 500's on that same list..........You just have to find out the truth to where you are on the dealership list of deposits and understand that MB is not going to be mass producing this cars. Also realize that there will be a wait involved to get either one of these vehicles. BTY, it seems a bit funny that no one remembers when the W208 Cab came out & we were telling clients anywhere from a year and a half to two years for a car!!!
Old 08-11-2003, 08:43 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Colors and options can be changed in a specified time period as above stated. What about engines? Can one change from a 320 to a 500 or vice-versa within the same time period or is the cabriolet allocated based upon engine designation?
Old 08-11-2003, 10:40 PM

Good question but if I read into it, they treat the engines as different models and only produce the models in phased production runs. So I would guess that you cannot change engines.

I do thank everyone for the info on this thread. Understanding the process gives me patience as opposed to being in the dark.

To follow up with another question, if an option is on hold, apparently they will skip you and go to the next person. My question is do they call you to ask if you want to eliminate the option that is on hold and go ahead with production? I know the person right in front of me had his order accepted first (he was fifth) and it was because the first four had the appearance package, which was on hold.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:55 PM

'00 320 Clk Cab
Thanks for the explanation. It confirms what my salesman has been telling me. I do get more current info from this board than he gets fron MB.

BTW, I must be lower than you. I'm a personal injury atty & a real estate broker.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:32 PM

All of the above
As far as changing a CLK500 to a 320. No luck, each model is different and is scheduled differently. If you ordered a 320 you are building a 320.

As far as unavailable options. I have had occasion to add an option (parktronic to a 2003 E55) that caused the production date to change. It moved it back about 2 weeks. No notification, you (me actually, as a salesperson) just have to keep an eye on the vehicle report.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:37 PM

All of the above
atty2,

A member of "the bar" and the national association of Realtors. Sell 'em and sue 'em. You go boy! Hey, nothing personal.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:27 PM

Thank you all for your replies to this thread that I started over 2 weeks ago. Some of you provided me a much better understanding both of the ordering process and how salesman get their information, so thanks for informing me (and us all).

I ordered a 320 Cab in the new Cadet Blue color. Last I heard it will be built in September and delivered in October. Since all I had to look at was the color chip in the new brochure, I took a big chance in ordering the new color sight unseen. If anyone has a car coming in Cadet Blue (coupe or Cab), I'd much appreciate if you'd post a picture or two so I can see what it will really look like. I ordered the black roof (not blue), and black interior (was afraid it would be too hard to keep lighter interior clean).

Thanks,
caigy
Old 08-14-2003, 11:00 AM

All of the above
Glad we could help!

Caigy,

I have not seen the Cadet blue yet. Looks like a lighter version of the black opal. I just checked our VR and it looks like we have a CLk being built Sept. in the cadet blue. I will take some pics when it comes in. Congratulations on your order.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:43 AM

Hi-
Here's an update to this thread that I started in late July. I got a call from my salesman this weekend to say that my car has been built and was at the dock in Bremen awaiting shipment. He gave me the VIN number as confirmation.

He says delivery will take about a month (I guess this includes shipping time as well as VPC and dealer prep time) and that I should get the car in the first week of October or perhaps a few days past that.

Does anyone have any experience with delivery time from the date the car gets to the port in Germany (I'm in New Jersey)?

I ordered Cadet Blue with charcoal interior, black top, wood steering wheel, COMAND, 6- CD in glove box, heated seats.

Caigy
Old 09-08-2003, 11:01 AM

Congrats on your car. I ordered the same minus the steering wheel. I also told them to add illuminated door sills, but they do not have the option on their list even though it is on the web site as an option. Please post pictures when it comes in.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:13 AM

M320, CLK 320 cabrio (on the way)
Caigy,

Thanks for starting this thread. I, too, ordered the CLK cabrio from a dealer in Northern NJ (Prestige), and was recently told that the one I ordered would be built late October/early November. I was originally told it would be built late August/early Sept., so I had the same questions you did. Thankfully, CME4BENZ and others shed some light on the process and made me feel better.

Good luck with your new car - hopefully you get a few nice days this fall to enjoy with the top down.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:37 PM

All of the above
Caigy,

Once the car leaves Germany (your salesperson should be able to tell you when it is "on the water") it takes about 11-14 days to get to Baltimore. It takes about another week to get through
customs and through the VPC (vehicle prep center).

The vehicle report that your salesperson has will let him know at each step when it is: on the water, at the port, cleared customs, at the VPC, released from the VPC to the car carrier etc.

Enjoy!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Update on Cabriolet delivery dates?