CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Additional key questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 02:53 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Firemist O5 CLK55 Cab Silver 05 CLK55 Coupe Tanzanite 06 CLK500 Coupe
Additional key questions

I have read all the previous posts and I wanted to share the confusion I have encountered. To get a replacement key for my 2005 (no k-go) all the dealers want to charge about the same, $210-$230.
HOWEVER, my local whoreship insists that the key will require additional programming for another $75. The counter guy says that every key they have sold has gone through the service center....

From what I have read this sounds like a total crock of #%## and they should work fine right out of the box, or after sitting in the ignition for a few minutes.

Are these guys just trying to bend me over or am I really missing something?
Old 11-03-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
There messing with you! The key will work out of the box. Be sure and get a blade too. You never know what style key you will get.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:52 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
There is a sliver, but only a small sliver, of truth in what the dealer is telling you. If all you want is an "additional" key, and not a "replacement" for a lost key, and fewer than 8 keys have ever been issued for the vehicle, then the parts counter can order this and it will arrive pre-programmed and ready to use.

The vehicle's DAS (Drive Authorization System) is pre-programmed at the factory for 24 unique key codes. MBZ is the only one who can issues keys. They have a database of keys assigned by VIN, and also record which keys have ever been issued. When MBZ issues a key, it is ready to be used - no programming is required or even possible.

The 24 key codes are arranged in a matrix of 8 columns or "slots" and 3 rows. Each slot can only have one active key. When the vehicle is delivered from the factory, it comes with two keys: slot 1/row 1 and slot 2/row 1. If you order an additional key, MBZ issues the code for the next unused slot based on its knowledge of all keys ever issued. In the case of the first additional key for a new vehicle, they would issue a key with the code for slot 3/row 1.

If you have lost a key and want to replace it so that the lost key will no longer work on the vehicle, then that will require a service visit. You will have to present all known keys so they can determine which one was lost and order the appropriate replacement for that "slot". Say for example you lost the key coded for slot 2/row 1. They would order a key for slot 2/row 2. The first time that key is used, it will deactivate all the lower slots in that row, so if someone were to try to use the key for slot 2/row 1, it would no longer function.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500 2003
Rudeney - your answers are so thorough and detailed. Thanks.

OP, the way Rudeney describes it is also what the parts guy at my dealership told me. I had to sign that I realized they weren't preventing the lost key from being used on my car, too.

And, price in Canada is $330, taxes in. So take that small comfort.