CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Question for the Stereo Gurus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes CLK 500
Question Question for the Stereo Gurus

I attempting to install a double din nav radio in my 2003 Mercedes CLK500. I've read thru all the posting about fiber optic connections and 2 ohm speakers. Can anyone identify which stereo I have? I know it runs fiber optics but to where? I removed the rear tray and didn't find an amplifier, just disconnect fiber connectors. I do have the Cd changer in the glove compartment. I've remove the fiber cable from the stereo and there was no sound. I would like to just replace the headunit and the speakers using the existing speaker cables all powered by the headunit. Any one know the wiring schematic? Let me know any ideas or suggestions. TIA

Tony
Attached Thumbnails Question for the Stereo Gurus-img463.jpg   Question for the Stereo Gurus-img464.jpg   Question for the Stereo Gurus-img465.jpg   Question for the Stereo Gurus-img470.jpg   Question for the Stereo Gurus-img462.jpg  

Question for the Stereo Gurus-img471.jpg  
Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
You will have the Bose system, so there are no analog speaker connections in the dash. It's fiber optic to the trunk, and then analog out from the Bose amp there. Remove the carpet panel from the right rear fender - you'll find the amp there.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes CLK 500
Thanks for the quick response. Does the amp have any low-level input besides the fiber channel? What unit Im I missing in the trunk with the disconnected fiber port? Do you know the wiring schematic for existing cables behind the radio? Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:59 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I am sure that somewhere inside the Bose amp, there is a way to tap into some low-level inputs after the digital signal from the fiber is converted to analog in the amp. The problem is, that's all proprietary, so unless you're an electrical engineer with the right equipment, you probably won't be able to figure it out.

As for wiring behind the radio, if you have Bose or Harmon-Kardon, there will be no wiring for the analog audio, but here's the pinouts:

http://benzbits.com/Audio.pdf