CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

HELP! Convertible top issue TMTL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK320
Unhappy HELP! Convertible top issue TMTL

HELP ASAP! with my MB 03 CLK320 convertible top. I bought it in June- summer no rain. Started raining and I noticed around top (going to try to add pics) leak up high drivers side.
When stopped raining I took pics and after uploading really don't like what I found.
The real mess appears around passenger side but the water was coming from drivers side (see 3rd pic).
I don't know what is/isn't or would/wouldn't cause the leak but please see the pics. I did go ahead and pry a couple of areas where gasket/seal looked like it should have been.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! Convertible top issue TMTL-merc-pass-side-issue-top-closed-copy.jpg   HELP! Convertible top issue TMTL-merc-driver-side-top-closed-issue-copy.jpg   HELP! Convertible top issue TMTL-merc-top-open-driver-side-issue-1-copy.jpg   HELP! Convertible top issue TMTL-conv-top-inside-lip-view-copy.jpg  
Old 12-09-2012, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
First, you are in the wrong forum - you car is a W208, not W209. But setting that aside, somebody who is sloppy or does not know what they are doing or both has taken all the trim off around the windshield and not replaced it correctly. It may have been removed for several reasons, including installing a new windshield. It's hard to say from your photos why it is leaking, or if that one peice is actually broken off or supposed to be that way, but you need to start by having somebody reinstall all the trim correctly and get all the weathersrip where it is supposed to be if you cannot do it yourself.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK320
varied answers

Thanks for replying. I started out in the W208 forum and someone told me I had the W209.
At any rate I bought this from a car lot back in June. I'm heartsick with what I have discovered. I was thinking about it ever since I took the pics and someone did something to it before I bought it. I have no idea how to do it the right way without finding instruction and almost afraid to try.
The car only had 49K miles on it when I bought it and only has 54k now and that's just because I took it to Las Vegas in July.
I have all the original owner manuals etc but as you probably know they do not go into detail as they are not repair manuals.
When I bought the car I purchased a premier extended warranty but of course it does not cover anything glass related or the convertible top! UGH

Well, I'll have to do something. Might try to see if I can get some of the trim etc back in place but before I do that think I'll run water over it with a hose since the sun is out today. Thank goodness it has been in covered parking.

I hope to solve this problem with the least amount of pain.

I fell in love with the car and knew NOTHING about Mercedes. My other car was a 1991 Buick Park Avenue and it served me well the entire 6 years I had it but it had wire harness issues and as much as I loved that car had to let it go.
Thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK550 Cab
Don't run water over it - you already know it leaks. And it needs to be fixed anyway. That first picture is a mess. For a person who is a do-it- yourselfer, this is about a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10. If that. Not hard. But I can tell you are probably not the person to tackle it. You may break your trim. Take it to any independent MB repair place, or maybe better yet, go to to glass shop the does windshields and ask them nicely how much they would charge to snap it back together correctly. It won't be much.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK550 Cab
And when I say it won't be much, I'm assuming the bozo who did this didn't already break something. But don't feel too bad about finding something like this. It would be a rare 10 year old car that hasn't had at least one weird thing done to it.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:08 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yidney is right - fixing the trim should be pretty easy unless the original owner broke the clips or plastic tabs. As for the car, you have a W208. MY2003 was the first year for the W209, except for the cabriolet - for MY2003, the cabriolet was carried over as a W208. If you don't feel comfortable working with the trim, instead of going to a dealer or mechanic, try an audio or tint shop - they are uses to removing stuff like that for installs and they might help you for a small tip vs. an hourly rate for a mechanic.