CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Matte Black... thoughts ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 clk500
Matte Black... thoughts ?

Hey guys,

Thinking of wrapping /dipping my CLK 500 matte black.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

I've been quoted at 1.7k to wrap my car but I can also dip it. (dipmycar.com)

Can't wait !

Last edited by 5double0; 12-27-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e63 NA
Hey there. You need to upload your pictures somewhere like tinyurl or imgur and then Copy that URL. Tthen when you are posting you click the little picture icon and you paste that URL.

Anyways to your real question, I've seen some poorly done matte black jobs before. I feel it's really easy to do matte black wrong, but done right it can look sick (like oem black series paint job). I think it would be easier to do matte white properly and personally I prefer matte white to black. I'd definitely be interested in seeing how it turns out though :O and to each his own of course!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:36 PM

2005 clk500
Originally Posted by Pufftrees
Hey there. You need to upload your pictures somewhere like tinyurl or imgur and then Copy that URL. Tthen when you are posting you click the little picture icon and you paste that URL.

Anyways to your real question, I've seen some poorly done matte black jobs before. I feel it's really easy to do matte black wrong, but done right it can look sick (like oem black series paint job). I think it would be easier to do matte white properly and personally I prefer matte white to black. I'd definitely be interested in seeing how it turns out though :O and to each his own of course!
Thank you so much ! I uploaded a current picture. I will for sure post pics after my little project is done.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 AM

White CLK550
Matte White! I have thought about it but I like the shine...
Old 12-28-2012, 03:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JBs C63 PP( wifes car ), Mc Laren Pxx(toy), 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 ( DD ), ML 6.3 ( winter DD )...
Looked over plastidip, then I thought about an friend who just wrapped in DINOC his silver car in mattblack. It looked soooo freakin hawt! Well the problem came two month later, looking at his front bumper I could count and clearly see the new roadchips because silver literally shined through matte black and it started looking funny.. He ended up a half year later redoing his bumper. A year later he removed it and went with brushe aluminum and now its really hard to see if he got any roadchips :-)

What I would do is whenever I cover something then I would go with LIGHT with LIGHT and DARK with DARK color.
Otherwise it would be an expensive PITA to keep it looking good.
So if any color then matte white....wich is really looking good though :-)

Just a question is it true that plastidip gets very dry on hoods because of the engineheat and literally burns into the clearcoat?
Just heard IDK.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:36 PM

White CLK550
This guy Wrapped his w209 Matte white... it looks pretty good Im just not sure if its the right type of car.
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...hite-w209.html

From what I have heard the whole plasti dip burning into the clearcoat is a myth. What is a fact though is that if you vinyl wrap over any spot that has been repainted it will possibly right the paint off that area.

Last edited by CLK550 $wagger; 12-28-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JBs C63 PP( wifes car ), Mc Laren Pxx(toy), 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 ( DD ), ML 6.3 ( winter DD )...
Wow! Looks good axcept the roof but to each its own, right? I really think matte white looks...sorry....gangstuh :-D
Old 08-21-2019, 11:08 AM

A45
A lot of handy guides on Youtube for this using both methods - heat gun and the dental floss.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:30 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Black 2004 CLK (w209) 320 Cabrio auto transm. "Elegance" trim; <br /> 2014 A180 black man.
I have seen a bunch of black matte MBs in France and Germany (there also in... camouflage, gold, and matte fuchsia!). It's apparently popular among French youngsters working at car body shops and Russian teens (pretending) studying in Germany. Matte purple is a great conversation starter and cheap anti-theft assurance This being said, when one knows about the difficulty of applying vinyl, one can only admire the job. Anyhow I don't find the black matte a great choice on MB bodies. White looks better. So does bright yellow matte, light beige matte, off-white matte. It seems with matte-look, clear colors are a more pleasant result. That's my opinion from observing mods and you, you do whatever you want. If it pleases you, drive it proudly and the hell with what others think.