CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Hello all...my first questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLK350
Hello all...my first questions

First of all, HELLO ALL! My name is Terry and I recently bought a 2006 CLK 350 Cab which is my first MBZ. I am a pretty good home mechanic with full tools, air tools, compressor, floor jacks, scantools etc. I have been wrenching on my cars since I was 16, so that is...uh lets see...carry the 5...well lets just say it has been a long time.

I have some basic questions here and they are going to be newb MBZ questions:

First, how the heck to I get the engine cover/air filter housing open. I have a Chilton manual (kind of a waste but thought I should have something) and all it says is pull up on the housing. Mine doesn't budge.

2. What kind of shop manual do you recommend and where to buy it?

3. My car has 36K miles on it so its about time for the trans service @ 39K. I am pretty religious about trans services. I would like to do it myself but am not sure about the fluid lever checking procedure I have read about. I do have a laser thermometer which I gather is needed but I don't think I can get the car up in the air completely level to use it as indicated in a thread I read a few days ago. Do you guys do your own or have dealer or independent MBZ service center do it for you.

3. How do I get the car alarm to do an "audible" when I activate it from the fob?

4. I need another fob. Only got one when I bought it. Any suggestions on the least expensive dealer to get it from?

Thanks all. I look forward to spending a lot of time here.

Best
Terry
Old 01-18-2013, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
Hey and welcome to the forum

To get the air filets changed turn the engine cover around after you take it out ( it is held by clips) and you will notice 3-4 screws on each side. There are two filters you can change inside.

2. WIS is your best bet. Ebay for a Russian copy lol

3. I believe that is only if you switch your computer settings to "Netherland" mode from the dealer

4. No idea on that one as most of us ordered it from the dealer
Old 01-18-2013, 03:50 PM

2006 CLK350
The problem with the engine cover it that it will not come off. Are there any hidden screws that I am not seeing. I can get the front cover off easy enough but the rear with the air filters won't budge. I have pulled on it till it looks like it is at the point of breaking with no luck.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
No screws. Pull back the two plastic air intake hoses. Then grab the big housing and pull up and forward sort of wiggling it. It fits pretty tight over the MAF sensor housing at the rear. Although it should not feel like it's about to break - they are not on that tight.

Last edited by Yidney; 01-18-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:24 PM

2006 CLK350
Thanks, I will give it another yank when she cools down.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:49 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,000 Likes on 869 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by Patton001
First, how the heck to I get the engine cover/air filter housing open. I have a Chilton manual (kind of a waste but thought I should have something) and all it says is pull up on the housing. Mine doesn't budge.
Yes, if you remove the front panel and the air intakes, you should just pull up on it firmly.

2. What kind of shop manual do you recommend and where to buy it?
WIS (official Workstation Information System) is the best. My advice would be to buy your own copy of SDS (official dealer diagnosis system). You can get a Chinese "clone" on eBay for around $500 or so. It includes WIS.

3. My car has 36K miles on it so its about time for the trans service @ 39K. I am pretty religious about trans services. I would like to do it myself but am not sure about the fluid lever checking procedure I have read about. I do have a laser thermometer which I gather is needed but I don't think I can get the car up in the air completely level to use it as indicated in a thread I read a few days ago. Do you guys do your own or have dealer or independent MBZ service center do it for you.
I did my own with four jackstands. There are center front and rear jack points. My garage floor is almost perfectly level so it was not very difficult to get the car level. If you can get a good price on the oil, it's going to cost around $100 in consumable parts, plus you need an oil pump. I spent just under $300 for a good pump and all the parts. You should be able to find an indy who will do the job for around $300.

3. How do I get the car alarm to do an "audible" when I activate it from the fob?
It requires a setting in SDS. I think you have to set the country code to "Netherlands".

4. I need another fob. Only got one when I bought it. Any suggestions on the least expensive dealer to get it from?
Go to the parts counter and order an "extra" key - that doesn't require a service visit. It's still probably going to cost over $200. Anything over $250 is robbery.